matrix - Rene- xys- sequencer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
coho

matrix - Rene- xys- sequencer

Post by coho »

Hello,
I am looking for a sequencer like the xys in native instruments Reaktor blocks. This would be like the make-noise Rene or the tiptop matrix hardware modules. I have tried the Benard matrix sequencer but it does not have x/y clock input or x/y mutes. I have looked through the store but has anyone found a sequencer like this?
Thanks!
RobB258

Re: matrix - Rene- xys- sequencer

Post by RobB258 »

Hi. I have tried virtually all the sequencers and have found nothing that allows different clocks on different axis. I was going to experiment with switchable clock timings fed to the matrix. I haven’t explored the xy walks button much but maybe triggering a direction change coinciding with a clock change might add something you are missing?

You have got me thinking on this one. Maybe two clock rates on two sequencers with a random generated OR switch on the gates might be interesting, although not the answer to your question?

Good luck
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Maybe you could try running say eight sequencers in sync and then feed their outputs through the 8-to-1 switch? The switch CV input would give you the second dimension.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

For XY mutes on matrix sequencer, you can use the skip probability at 100% on most of the grid to achieve the basic effect... it's not quick and easy to change on the fly tho, so it's less than ideal.
MatrixSeq_X_Skip.jpg
MatrixSeq_X_Skip.jpg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
It would be really nice to have binary toggles for the skip probability there as an option. Along with the separate clock trigger inputs for X and Y.
RobB258

Post by RobB258 »

Hi
I don’t know how the different cycle clock speeds for xy axis should sound but if you used 2 Sync Generators run in to an Eight to One switch which is connected to the Matrix sequencer external clock in and then trigger the switch with the x or y gate output you do get 2 clock speeds operating when the sequencer changes direction.
Sounds really interesting especially with the snake setting.
I will try to do a screen grab and upload it when I get the chance if that would help?
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

@Rob: Your idea sounds really neat. I'm definitely going to try it! Not quite the same as separate X/Y clock inputs, but it does sound like it will bring a different and interesting style of evolution to sequences.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to “Voltage Modular”