Sequencer VST in Voltage Modular's Plugin Host

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
MC242

Sequencer VST in Voltage Modular's Plugin Host

Post by MC242 »

Hallo, I'm new here and this is my first post, so please be patient with me. :)
I'm a newbie to Voltage Modular and I would like to integrate a sequencer VST in the plugin host like HY-SEQ32 or Venomode Phrasebox or any other into VM the way that I can control other modules or plugins (in another plugin host module).
Normally I should be able to set this up, but the problem is that the sequencer vsts always need a kind of clock and/or transport input.
I have tried different things but nothing helped.
So could anyone please be so kind to explain detailed how I can do this?

Thank you so much in advance!
tgrey

Re: Sequencer VST in Voltage Modular's Plugin Host

Post by tgrey »

Somehow I don't own any sequencer VSTs to test this with, are any of them free?

My only suggestion I have would be to hook the Host section's MIDI output to the plugin host's MIDI input, and hope transport is carried over that way? I suspect it won't be, but I don't see many other options.

Again tho, I have no idea and am just grasping at straws... good luck!
MC242

Post by MC242 »

Thank you for trying to help!
This was surely one of the first things I tested, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be enough. It does not work.
MC242

Post by MC242 »

Okay, I think I will do this in a daw and not standalone then.
I an a daw I already have transport and midi clock and everything works fine.
I just thought I could do it without a daw in Voltage Modular standalone.
robgray

Post by robgray »

The Plug-In Host in VM does not seem to open up the parameters for tempo / transport to the user.

This makes it so you can't really use things like VST note processors, arpeggiators, and sequencers.

Pity.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

robgray wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm The Plug-In Host in VM does not seem to open up the parameters for tempo / transport to the user.

This makes it so you can't really use things like VST note processors, arpeggiators, and sequencers.
Two things:
(1) I thought it depended on what parameters the plug-in exposed. Are you wanting to have plug-ins that expose tempo and transport functions to sync up with VM's tempo and start/stop commands? If so, I haven't tried that but it is something I could probably use.

(2) I put the Eight Voice into a mini host and chose to play an Eight Voice sequence based on the note from a usb keyboard. It worked. I didn't see any tempo or transport parameters, but I changed VM's tempo and the Eight Voice's tempo changed, too. (It also works with a DCO-106 and a non-Cherry Audio Drummer that plays kits and MIDI patterns.)
robgray

Post by robgray »

Not sure what you’re asking.

VM Stand-alone does not have any transport/stop/start commands. That means I’m typically setting up my own modules for start/stop/clock, as one would in modular.

Plug-ins in the Mini Plug-In Host whose behavior is based around the transport have no way of listening to these commands. They are listening to VM’s commands, which are not open to the user. Only the tempo is.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

robgray wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:58 pm Not sure what you’re asking.

VM Stand-alone does not have any transport/stop/start commands. That means I’m typically setting up my own modules for start/stop/clock, as one would in modular.

Plug-ins in the Mini Plug-In Host whose behavior is based around the transport have no way of listening to these commands. They are listening to VM’s commands, which are not open to the user. Only the tempo is.
I was responding to this:
robgray wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm The Plug-In Host in VM does not seem to open up the parameters for tempo / transport to the user.

Pity.
So my question was an attempt to guess at what you were trying to do and at the same time ask. Thanks for your clarifications.

It was "The Plug-In Host in VM does not seem to open up the parameters . . . " that led me to wonder what you were doing. From what I have seen the VM hosts (maxi and mini) open up parameters based on the the plug-ins that users open up in the VM host modules.

Initially it sounded like you were expecting the host modules to have tempo / transport parameters in VM's list of controllable parameters. With the clarifications (above), I now understand you were not talking about the list of plug-in parameters that we get via the VM host modules. Again, thanks for clarifying what you were wanting to do with regard to both tempo and transport commands.
MC242

Post by MC242 »

As I already wrote, loading up VM as a plugin within a daw solved my problems as I have transport control and bpm control in the daw.
This is working now. But now I have other problems with the plugin host, mainly crashing with every plugin that is not a plain vst synth or fx, e.g. plugin chainers or modular plugins which are acting like hosts, such as Reason, Softube Modular or others...

Return to “Voltage Modular”