Voltage Modular crashes on LENOVO W520 Laptop with NVIDIA Quadro 2000M GPU

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
AndreasFranke

Voltage Modular crashes on LENOVO W520 Laptop with NVIDIA Quadro 2000M GPU

Post by AndreasFranke »

I have an older Lenovo W520 Laptop (i7 2820QM, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, fresh W10 Pro 21H1 installation, all latest drivers) with NVIDIA Quadro 2000M GPU on board. I wanted to use it exclusively for running Voltage Modular (2.2.5) Standalone and/or VCV Rack. While VCV works fine on the Lenovo, Voltage Modular crashes after a really short time without any message. I tried to deactivate "use OpenGL hardware acceleration" but before I can do this, VM crashes. I deactivated the Quadro 2000M in the Windows Device Manager and tried to run VM again and it works! But deactivating the GPU to get VM running, isn't really nice... :-(

Best regards,
Andreas
honki-bobo

Re: Voltage Modular crashes on LENOVO W520 Laptop with NVIDIA Quadro 2000M GPU

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi Andreas,

you can try to turn off OpenGL in the "Voltage Modular.settings" file located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Settings.

Look for "<VALUE name="UseOpenGL" val="1"/>" and change the 1 to 0.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

honki-bobo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:46 pm Hi Andreas,

you can try to turn off OpenGL in the "Voltage Modular.settings" file located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Settings.

Look for "<VALUE name="UseOpenGL" val="1"/>" and change the 1 to 0.

Best regards,
Martin
Hi Martin,
thank you for the tip. Nice to know about this file. :-) I modified the settings as you showed above, activated the GPU again and startet VM again. The first 15 to 20 second it seemed to work, than bang. VM back to nirvana. So I had to deactivate the GPU again to get VM working.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Ok, it doesn't seem to be an OpenGL related issue then. Does VM also crash when you don't do anything? To further strip down graphic issues you can try to deactivate the following:

Code: Select all

<VALUE name="3DCables" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="CableShadows" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="CablesMoveAway" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="AnimateCables" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="bDoJackPlatterAnimations" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="bDoOpenGLCheck" val="1"/>
Other than that, you can write an email to Cherry Audio support and ask them if they know about this problem and/or have a solution for it.
On the other hand, you've said you wanted to use the Laptop exclusively for VM, so why do need the NVidia GPU?
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

honki-bobo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 pm Ok, it doesn't seem to be an OpenGL related issue then. Does VM also crash when you don't do anything? To further strip down graphic issues you can try to deactivate the following:

Code: Select all

<VALUE name="3DCables" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="CableShadows" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="CablesMoveAway" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="AnimateCables" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="bDoJackPlatterAnimations" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="bDoOpenGLCheck" val="1"/>
Other than that, you can write an email to Cherry Audio support and ask them if they know about this problem and/or have a solution for it.
On the other hand, you've said you wanted to use the Laptop exclusively for VM, so why do need the NVidia GPU?
Yes, VM will crash after a short time if I do nothing. If I do something, it only forces a quicker journey to nirvana. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, I'm a little tired now. ;-) Yes, you are right. I said I wanted to use the Lenovo exclusively for VM and I could (should?) live with it. But it's there and it would be nice to make use of the graphic performance, what it delivers under normal circumstances. Wouldn't it?

Thank you very much for your further tips, honki-bobo! :-)
Andreas
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

honki-bobo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 pm Other than that, you can write an email to Cherry Audio support and ask them if they know about this problem and/or have a solution for it.
Hi,
I had time today to check all the settings you sugested in your reply. But it doesn't work. VM crashes right after startup.
If I only wanted to use the Laptop for VM I wouldn't care, but as I wrote, it's for VM & VCV usage. If I deactivate the GPU
VM works, but VCV will not because it's missing the OpenGL thing. If activate the GPU VCV work, but VM crashes.
I contacted CA support some minutes ago. I thing they should take care...

Andreas
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

AndreasFranke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:15 pm . . . If I deactivate the GPU VM works, but VCV will not because it's missing the OpenGL thing. If activate the GPU VCV work, but VM crashes.
Sorry to hear about the inability to use both VCV and VM together on your computer, but if CA/VM forces OpenGL on users (like the way VCV did a few years back), it will no longer work on my PC and I would hate to see that. For purely selfish reasons as a user of VM, I would prefer that you try to get VCV to abandon OpenGL as a requirement.
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

BTW: EIght Voice, CA 2600, MG-1, Polymode and PS-20. Also just crash immediately....

Return to “Voltage Modular”