playertron trigger player

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
playertron

Re: playertron trigger player

Post by playertron »

SampleTriggeringBundle.png
SampleTriggeringBundle.png (836.78 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
ravasb

Post by ravasb »

That looks great!
hrotorvator

Post by hrotorvator »

Hi. Really like your modules and i can't wait to try the new ones. But... VM gets really sluggish when I load your modules, sometimes sound gets weird/stuttering, and sometimes results in VM crashing. I have this problem both on windows and mac. but on mac the crashes are more frequent. Hope you can fix/optimize your modules.
playertron

Post by playertron »

hrotorvator wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:01 pm Hi. Really like your modules and i can't wait to try the new ones. But... VM gets really sluggish when I load your modules, sometimes sound gets weird/stuttering, and sometimes results in VM crashing. I have this problem both on windows and mac. but on mac the crashes are more frequent. Hope you can fix/optimize your modules.
Thanks for the support, and I hope you'll be able to make some cool sounds with them!

I'll certainly pour over the code asap and look for opportunities for smart efficiencies, but mostly it comes from the samples themselves - the module runs very lean in terms of controls and such, but the samples are handled by the memory in a way that means that your system might be challenged by extremely large samples or by very small buffers. I'm going to tinker with whether the module can have a variable buffer in such a way that might be helpful, but it might still come down to the same limits you see with a DAW, where the system just requires a compromise somewhere, in terms of how much its doing and how much latency you can afford.
martb

Post by martb »

playertron wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:11 pm
hrotorvator wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:01 pm Hi. Really like your modules and i can't wait to try the new ones. But... VM gets really sluggish when I load your modules, sometimes sound gets weird/stuttering, and sometimes results in VM crashing. I have this problem both on windows and mac. but on mac the crashes are more frequent. Hope you can fix/optimize your modules.
Thanks for the support, and I hope you'll be able to make some cool sounds with them!

I'll certainly pour over the code asap and look for opportunities for smart efficiencies, but mostly it comes from the samples themselves - the module runs very lean in terms of controls and such, but the samples are handled by the memory in a way that means that your system might be challenged by extremely large samples or by very small buffers. I'm going to tinker with whether the module can have a variable buffer in such a way that might be helpful, but it might still come down to the same limits you see with a DAW, where the system just requires a compromise somewhere, in terms of how much its doing and how much latency you can afford.
I was going to report the same issue with gui sluggishness. This is with either the 'sub metronome' or 'bpm follower' modules. I found that turning off 'opengl hardware acceleration' in the cpu options of VM seems to improve things though, so that might be worth looking at.
While we're at it, currently on the 'bpm follower' the calibrate slider extends up into the top part of the module. The top part of modules should be reserved just for click/dragging (of modules) really, but in this case it's too easy to accidentally set that slider to the top.
Last edited by martb on Sun May 30, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

playertron wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 am . . . your request was a good excuse to build out an idea that I've been meaning to dust off from my days building digital hardware effects (this monster was a "real-time sampler" prototype that lives only in my closet). The idea was sparked by my grad work at the time, in genetics, and the effect of insertion & deletion mutations on DNA transcription.
This sounds interesting! Looking forward to what emerges from this.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

Steve W wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:59 pm
playertron wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 am . . . your request was a good excuse to build out an idea that I've been meaning to dust off from my days building digital hardware effects (this monster was a "real-time sampler" prototype that lives only in my closet). The idea was sparked by my grad work at the time, in genetics, and the effect of insertion & deletion mutations on DNA transcription.
This sounds interesting! Looking forward to what emerges from this.
just a heads up that the bundle containing the second version of Playertron trigger player seems to be online already! I need to check if there is a demo, otherwise will buy it straight away - as the price is really nice (and I am a sucker for fresh ideas :lol: )
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

playertron wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 am
xones2358 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:41 pm i did not test the module. looking at it, seems like something i have been longing for, but: could we get a pitch control for each part? ;)
Stayed up last night working on this - it's kind of a whole different construction on the back end & unintuitively sort of a different project altogether, but your request was a good excuse to build out an idea that I've been meaning to dust off from my days building digital hardware effects (this monster was a "real-time sampler" prototype that lives only in my closet). The idea was sparked by my grad work at the time, in genetics, and the effect of insertion & deletion mutations on DNA transcription. Anyway, it's a very raw sounding, needlessly arcane, and very unpolished approach to pitch shifting, but it sounds cool, perhaps more honest, and lets you dial in musical relationships for melodies, in an interesting way. I also worked on a partner calculator module to help you dial in particular pitches.

Thanks for the little push and, if you're interested, you'll see it appear as a bundle in the store soon (I'll post it as a separate device from the original, b/c it's sort of its own thing that's not so streamlined and for different purposes, but existing owners can get a discount for however much they paid already if they want the extra stuff)...
veeeeerry cool! i*m seeing the bundle appear already and excited to try it out tonight.

glad to push a little, when in the end it means, something interesting for all of us to play with!
hrotorvator

Post by hrotorvator »

martb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:55 am

I was going to report the same issue with gui sluggishness. This is with either the 'sub metronome' or 'bpm follower' modules. I found that turning off 'opengl hardware acceleration' in the cpu options of VM seems to improve things though, so that might be worth looking at.
While we're at it, currently on the 'bpm follower' the calibrate slider extends up into the top part of the module. The top part of modules should be reserved just for click/dragging (of modules) really, but in this case it's too easy to accidentally set that slider to the top.
Yes, it's not only with the trigger players, it happens with the Tempo Modulating Bundle too. Basically with all playertron modules. As soon as i insert the modules in the rack, vm gets sluggish. Sometimes audio starts stuttering and i have to restart vm, other times it just crashes. And i have very capable machines. I have patches with a ton of modules and my machines run those patches smoothly. But i can have like 2 or 3 modules in the rack and as soon as i insert one of the playertron modules, things get weird. Also some users on the facebook group reported similar issues. Something is going on, and as i said, i hope you can find the problem as soon as possible. Problems aside, i like the modules. Good luck squashing those bugs.
playertron

Post by playertron »

hrotorvator wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:17 pm
martb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:55 am

Yes, it's not only with the trigger players, it happens with the Tempo Modulating Bundle too. Basically with all playertron modules. As soon as i insert the modules in the rack, vm gets sluggish. Sometimes audio starts stuttering and i have to restart vm, other times it just crashes. And i have very capable machines. I have patches with a ton of modules and my machines run those patches smoothly. But i can have like 2 or 3 modules in the rack and as soon as i insert one of the playertron modules, things get weird. Also some users on the facebook group reported similar issues. Something is going on, and as i said, i hope you can find the problem as soon as possible. Problems aside, i like the modules. Good luck squashing those bugs.
Well that's a puzzle, but I'm working on it. Though I'm coding on a newish computer, testing on an old 2015 mac laptop doesn't give me any trouble, even when filling the screen with lots of everything, but nonetheless, I'm taking the time to limit calculations performed and memory used, and you should see a difference. Some of these modules are intense by their nature, so your positivity is much appreciated - hopefully, we can keep the envelope pushed without breaking too many processors!

Just finished an update to the BPM follower and when it's accepted, I'll be curious how it's working for you. A trigger player update is also awaiting approval and will have a tiny (somewhat hidden) buffer adjustment knob that'll give you something to work with.

Return to “Voltage Modular”