B3 Hammond Emulation

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
tarkus1971

B3 Hammond Emulation

Post by tarkus1971 »

I know cherry have released a lot of synths now and I have all except VM2500, but I would wonder what a B3 organ would sound like coming from Cherry Audio, just a thought, Standalone and VST, just like the new PS20 and 8 voice would be just awesome.
silden

Re: B3 Hammond Emulation

Post by silden »

+1 :D
docatlas

Post by docatlas »

I like the idea, but I would like to see it as a set of modules for Voltage Modular. The chorus/vibrato effect would be nice to use on other things, and a a module with drawbars would be useful, especially if it was possible to retune the drawbars to other footages. Hammond's X and H series had more tonewheels and drawbars than the other models, and it would be nice to be able to emulate that. CV control over level and pitch for each drawbar would be nice, too.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

docatlas wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 pm I like the idea, but I would like to see it as a set of modules for Voltage Modular. The chorus/vibrato effect would be nice to use on other things, and a a module with drawbars would be useful, especially if it was possible to retune the drawbars to other footages. Hammond's X and H series had more tonewheels and drawbars than the other models, and it would be nice to be able to emulate that. CV control over level and pitch for each drawbar would be nice, too.
I like the idea of modularized classic organ building blocks! I was thinking, "Why is another B3 emulation needed?" but having controllable modular drawbars, Leslies, and an assortment other classic controllers and FX that can be used with a wide variety of sounds might be unique. Afterwards, CA can turn it into an instrument to appeal to that market. Might add value to an instrument bundle, much like the MG-1 did.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

This isn't a tone wheel organ emulation but might be of interest, if you are looking for something with draw bar like functionality...

https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... oscillator

Unfortunately it's not part of the Core bundle though.

Another interesting approach is using the little known Spectrum Analyser module which is part of the Core bundle.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/spectrum-analyzer

It's presented merely as a visualization tool and doesn't appear to have any documentation but it has multiple band pass outputs with envelope followers or gate outputs with adjustable threshold. It's a really nice little module that few people seem to know about.

So you can do draw bar like things by feeding it with a rich spectrum signal and taking the band pass outputs to a mixer. Or you can use VCAs. It can even be used to construct a vocoder by using two of them and ten VCAs.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Steve W wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:28 pm
docatlas wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 pm I like the idea, but I would like to see it as a set of modules for Voltage Modular. The chorus/vibrato effect would be nice to use on other things, and a a module with drawbars would be useful, especially if it was possible to retune the drawbars to other footages. Hammond's X and H series had more tonewheels and drawbars than the other models, and it would be nice to be able to emulate that. CV control over level and pitch for each drawbar would be nice, too.
I like the idea of modularized classic organ building blocks! I was thinking, "Why is another B3 emulation needed?" but having controllable modular drawbars, Leslies, and an assortment other classic controllers and FX that can be used with a wide variety of sounds might be unique. Afterwards, CA can turn it into an instrument to appeal to that market. Might add value to an instrument bundle, much like the MG-1 did.
Yes my thoughts exactly, if you want to build a B3 then you could but then once you start adding more oscs, filters and other fx things will tranform massively. Let's hope this could happen. Leslie cabinet would be good to with various speakers sizes for bass horn and high horn., rotations speeds etc, even an "age" parameter to simulate older worn in speakers, a mild distortion I guess. CV control over drawbars, nice, plug in an LFO and things could get crazy, sweeping up and down the drawbars... interesting.

Call it "The Cherry 3 Bundle" :)
docatlas

Post by docatlas »

tarkus1971 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:23 am
Steve W wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:28 pm
Yes my thoughts exactly, if you want to build a B3 then you could but then once you start adding more oscs, filters and other fx things will tranform massively. Let's hope this could happen. Leslie cabinet would be good to with various speakers sizes for bass horn and high horn., rotations speeds etc, even an "age" parameter to simulate older worn in speakers, a mild distortion I guess. CV control over drawbars, nice, plug in an LFO and things could get crazy, sweeping up and down the drawbars... interesting.

Call it "The Cherry 3 Bundle" :)
I'm surprised PSP hasn't ported their rotary sim to VM format; they've done it with a lot of their other effects. It's possible to load it via the plugin host, but a dedicated VM module would be preferable. Audreio's Revival is a good example of what a drawbar-based synth could be.
martb

Post by martb »

docatlas wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 am I'm surprised PSP hasn't ported their rotary sim to VM format; they've done it with a lot of their other effects.
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/psp-rotary
somebodyelseuk

Post by somebodyelseuk »

Slightly OT, but thought I'd share my experience, anyway.
Over the years, something I've regularly been asked for are backing tracks for instrumental guitarists - Shadows style - to play along to.
One request I had was for 'Whiter Shade Of Pale', the old classic Procul Harem song, which heavily features a B3.
I'm a guitarist. This was long before I started playing around with softsynths.
I absolutely nailed the sound by using a free B3 sim called Nubile, sending it through an AC30 model and Lwslie cab sim in
Amplitube 3 using period mic sims and appropriate 'room mic' levels' within AT3.

I'm just a middle aged guitarist/ex-scientist using a bit of lateral thinking.

I'd have expected experienced modular softsynth users could emulate a B3 without blinking.
Sound... it's just frequencies, dynamics, modulation and time.

Return to “Voltage Modular”