Native Apple Silicon (M1) support

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
c0z

Native Apple Silicon (M1) support

Post by c0z »

Hello dear folks at Cherry Audio,

do you have a roadmap for releasing your software for native Apple Silicon machines without the need for Rosetta 2 emulation? This would give a real performance boost.

Thank you!
Markus/c0z
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Native Apple Silicon (M1) support

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

We're tentatively waiting until Avid/Pro Tools supports native M1. Why? Because it would be a mess for us to have to support some plugin formats for M1 and others for Rosetta.

Greg
c0z

Post by c0z »

Hi Greg,

thanks for your reply! So let's just wait tentatively together. :)

Best regards from Germany,
Markus/c0z
chrisedu

Post by chrisedu »

Just wondering if there is any news on this matter?

I am having lots of cpu spikes with only one instance of latest Voltage Modular (2.3.4) running in Rosetta in Logic pro X in a brand new MacMini M1Silicon.

The same basic patch runs fine (no cpu spikes) on my 2013's macbook pro (Mojave).

Anyone else having same issues with VM on M1 Silicon?

thanks
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/artic ... quirements

Still looks like the ball is in Avid's court. They did sort of position themselves to be an "industry standard" :roll: , so if they're not keeping up, perhaps pressure should be applied upstream?
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

Avid is notorious for late support, so this is disappointing news, as I and everyone I know will be buying M1X MBPs as soon as they come out. My goal was to start out running Logic in M1 mode. I'm also confused by the Cherry position of supporting both for different DAWs being a mess. Isn't that inevitable? Or are you planning to drop Rosetta support as soon as all DAWs go M1? I'm guessing that's a no and that I don't understand the plan and that you will be supporting Intel and Apple chips for a while. At least I suspect that's what everyone hopes will happen. PS: Being a Logic user held hostage by Avid because my favorite synth is waiting for Avid to support M1 is a bummer.
ansolas

Post by ansolas »

So anyone else need to wait due to AVID ?
Is ProTools so important for you ?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Things have progressed. Avid released their new SDK. Not sure about VM yet, but our new Stardust 201 Tape Echo already has native M1 support. Soon, the Cherry Audio synths will all also get updates with M1 support.

Greg
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

That's great News Greg!

Slightly unrelated, but is there any official news about bringing the oversampling to other synths in the update too? Sorry if I missed it discussed elsewhere, I've been rather out of the loop this past week!
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hmmm, maybe that will be in the synth updates, too.

Return to “Voltage Modular”