Magnify "modules of interest"

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.

Would you find this useful?

Yes, good idea
83%
Maybe, I would use that
17%
No thank you
No votes
Gone fishing
No votes

Total votes: 18

DarkStar

Magnify "modules of interest"

Post by DarkStar »

Just an idea: When working with complex builds with many modules I tend to zoom out, to reduce the amount of scrolling and let me see the big picture. But then connecting cables between modules and adjusting the module controls can be a bit tricky, as the individual module GUIs are quite small.

How about a viewing mode where the source and potential destination modules are displayed bigger - the modules would be the one you clicked to start the cable and the one the mouse is currently over. That would make it easier to connect the cable.

Here is a poor mock-up:

Also, such a mode would be handy when adjusting the module controls. You have the overall view of the build, but it becomes easier to twiddle the controls. Having to zoom in and out and scroll around is annoying.
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. // Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Re: Magnify "modules of interest"

Post by DarkStar »

Bump.

Essentially this is related to the Focus feature in the CA synths.

When enabled, magnify the module which the mouse pointer is over - enabling easier reading and adjustment of controls, and connection of cables. Tis magnification would only happen after a sort time \9a second or so) so that you can pass over modules without them being magnified.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

DarkStar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:34 pm
How about a viewing mode where the source and potential destination modules are displayed bigger - the modules would be the one you clicked to start the cable and the one the mouse is currently over. That would make it easier to connect the cable.

I like the idea, but the number of potential destination modules in even a fairly basic patch would pretty much defeat the purpose, let alone a complex patch. I can imagine a scenario where literally every other module in a patch gets magnified because it's a potential destination.That said, I like the idea of having the current module expand, similar to how we can emphasize the cables connected to the current module.

Here's a simple patch, where the CV output from the sequencer is viable in 13 of the 16 other modules.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 8.21.58 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 8.21.58 AM.jpg (587.71 KiB) Viewed 806 times
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Sorry that I was not clear - a module would only get magnified when the mouse hovers over it (for say a second or two). If the mouse just passes over a module (on its way to the desired destination module) then that module does not get magnified.

Edit: this would be valuable when adjusting the controls on any module too. Hover over a module, it gets magnified and the controls are bigger / easier to adjust.

Return to “Voltage Modular”