Several bugs in Mighty Piano Roll.

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
rfj

Several bugs in Mighty Piano Roll.

Post by rfj »

Hi. Mighty Piano Roll seems to be the thing I've waited for in VM since day one, BUT....... there are a couple of mistakes in it.
When in step record mode there's no way to reset to first step when recording is cleared.
Also, fuzzy behauviour when setting step and note duration. I've chosen 1/16 as step and note duration but everytime I press a key the recorded step is 1/4 or 1/2.
When I slide notes on grid using the mouse the entire DAW (Ableton Live 10.1.35) suddenly quits.

Mighty Piano Roll is a brilliant and powerful tool with plenty of bugs. Please, try to solve this ASAP.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Several bugs in Mighty Piano Roll.

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Hi there,

1. You can hit rewind to go back to the start after clearing - clear doesn't really care what mode you are in. (Also, undo will work)
2. I am unable to repro the step size/note duration descrepancy you are seeing. A video would be cool.
3. In terms of a crash in Abelton 10.1.35, please make sure you have the very latest version of Voltage Modular. I assume you can drag notes in standalone mode. It may be helpful to provide a crash report and log files to our support.

This is one of the most intricate and involved modules we've done (GUI wise, at least)...so I expect there to be some issues. However, it is also good for other module devs to see what is possible and get inspired, as well.

Glad you like it.
rfj

Post by rfj »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:42 pm Hi there,

1. You can hit rewind to go back to the start after clearing - clear doesn't really care what mode you are in. (Also, undo will work)
2. I am unable to repro the step size/note duration descrepancy you are seeing. A video would be cool.
3. In terms of a crash in Abelton 10.1.35, please make sure you have the very latest version of Voltage Modular. I assume you can drag notes in standalone mode. It may be helpful to provide a crash report and log files to our support.

This is one of the most intricate and involved modules we've done (GUI wise, at least)...so I expect there to be some issues. However, it is also good for other module devs to see what is possible and get inspired, as well.

Glad you like it.
For a lover of step music (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Steve Roach....) as I am the Mighty Piano Roll is a dream come true. Mighty Piano Roll could be the most powerful tool to create intricate polyrithmic sequences in a modular environment. Bugs need to be solved and cv offset and internal quantiser would be a welcome addition.
Cherry Lee Lewis
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Lee Lewis »

Hi rfj, I have been trying to reproduce the issue you mentioned in Ableton 10, but cannot seem to get it to happen.
I have set note duration and step length both to 1/16 and entered notes via my controller in step mode. They come out as expected.
2021-04-15_191257.png
2021-04-15_191257.png (119.26 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
This is on a Windows 10 machine. Are you on a Mac?
Can you show a video of the reproduction so we can try to follow along?
martb

Post by martb »

rfj wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm Also, fuzzy behaviour when setting step and note duration. I've chosen 1/16 as step and note duration but everytime I press a key the recorded step is 1/4 or 1/2.
I'm seeing similar issues here. When patching from the trig CV source in the top panel of VM to the forward step CV jack on MPR, the play-head jumps forward double the value in the 'step length' i.e. at 1/16 it moves forward at 1/8, etc. However, if I patch from the gate CV source into Andrew Macaulay's 'Gate to trigger' module and then into the MPR it works correctly. Hope that makes sense :)
In addition to that, I can't select the 1/16T option in the 'step length' drop-down.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

rfj wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm Hi. Mighty Piano Roll seems to be the thing I've waited for in VM since day one, BUT....... there are a couple of mistakes in it.
When in step record mode there's no way to reset to first step when recording is cleared.
Also, fuzzy behauviour when setting step and note duration. I've chosen 1/16 as step and note duration but everytime I press a key the recorded step is 1/4 or 1/2.
When I slide notes on grid using the mouse the entire DAW (Ableton Live 10.1.35) suddenly quits.

Mighty Piano Roll is a brilliant and powerful tool with plenty of bugs. Please, try to solve this ASAP.
In regards to the crash you mentioned, we were able to reproduce this and fix it. The next time you run Voltage Modular, it will download the update.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Hi,
I've got same problem as the theme starter.
When adding with mouse 1/4 notes in 4/4 meter it is not possible to place notes on 2nd or 4th beat. The notes appear on 1st or 3rd beat always.

I'm working on PC, Windows 10, VM as standalone
20210427-Mighty Piano Roll.jpg
20210427-Mighty Piano Roll.jpg (158.14 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Either zoom in or click the button on the top left to change the snap settings. Alternatively, hold the Shift key down while moving a note. This is also described in the manual.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:14 pm Either zoom in or click the button on the top left to change the snap settings. Alternatively, hold the Shift key down while moving a note. This is also described in the manual.
I did not realise that button. It's working as in DAW.
Many thanks for that hint.
martb

Post by martb »

martb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:48 pm
rfj wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm Also, fuzzy behaviour when setting step and note duration. I've chosen 1/16 as step and note duration but everytime I press a key the recorded step is 1/4 or 1/2.
I'm seeing similar issues here. When patching from the trig CV source in the top panel of VM to the forward step CV jack on MPR, the play-head jumps forward double the value in the 'step length' i.e. at 1/16 it moves forward at 1/8, etc. However, if I patch from the gate CV source into Andrew Macaulay's 'Gate to trigger' module and then into the MPR it works correctly. Hope that makes sense :)
In addition to that, I can't select the 1/16T option in the 'step length' drop-down.
Just to update on the first issue reported here. I have two separate hardware midi inputs coming from the same device, which was causing the problems I referred to. Deselecting one of them in the options fixes it, so that's Ok :)
However, I'm still seeing the problem with being unable to select the 1/16T options in both the drop-downs.

Return to “Voltage Modular”