Micro Burst ?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
StevenMikel
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 am

Micro Burst ?

Post by StevenMikel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Will somebody please demonstrate Micro Burst ?

Steve W
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by Steve W » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 am

StevenMikel wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm
Will somebody please demonstrate Micro Burst ?
Looks like I have that module. I will try to play around with it tomorrow if no one else has some demos or presets to share. The documentation seems straight forward. Any thoughts on what you might want to do with it (other than what's suggested in the documentation)?

Just did 3 quick starter things: (1) looked at the effects of the Micro Burst knobs using Adroit's CV Watcher (a) from a usb midi controller's keypresses as triggers and then (b) from the midi lfo module as triggers; (2) looked at the effects of the Micro Burst on a test patch I have been playing with using the Analog Shift Register's built-in White Noise Generator (again watching the results using Adroit's CV Watcher); (3a) patched just one of the Analog Shift Register's lines to the pitch control of an oscillator and (3b) the output of Micro Burst to the external trigger of the Analog Shift Register. This results in random bleeps. I imagine the results is probably similar to using a sample and hold as mentioned in the documentation.

This is just a very quick thing thrown together using a test preset I had been working on.

StevenMikel
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 am

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by StevenMikel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I did a really basic patch with MicroBurst . I was hoping somebody could show me/us a musical way of using MicroBurst .

StevenMikel
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 am

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by StevenMikel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:08 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm very new to modular synthesis. I've made a few basic patches. I copied the Juicy Bass patch from the "Beginners Guide to Voltage Modular Part 2" video.

Steve W
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by Steve W » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 pm

StevenMikel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm
I did a really basic patch with MicroBurst. I was hoping somebody could show me/us a musical way of using MicroBurst.
I have been playing with a variety of musical "genres" over the years, including experimental; so its all musical to me. Is it fair to say by "musical way" you mean either (A) pitched, tonal (for example musical notes in keys possibly with tonal harmonies, chords, progressions, melodic development) or (B) non-pitched regularly metrical patterns of recognisable percussive sounds (for example beats people can dance to)?

xones2358
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by xones2358 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:45 pm

I think of it as a kind of *ratcheter* which is not time synched but free in tempo. You can achieve some interesting material for drums. Try putting some gates from the Drum Sequencer through various Micro Bursts and from there to various Drum voice generators. (maybe mix with non bursted gates for variation) - then play with Micro Burst's controls - then put some LFO to the Micro Burst's CV inputs for variation. It works pretty well for glitched drum sounds.

xones2358
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by xones2358 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm

Steve W wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 am
StevenMikel wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm
Will somebody please demonstrate Micro Burst ?
Looks like I have that module. I will try to play around with it tomorrow if no one else has some demos or presets to share. The documentation seems straight forward. Any thoughts on what you might want to do with it (other than what's suggested in the documentation)?

Just did 3 quick starter things: (1) looked at the effects of the Micro Burst knobs using Adroit's CV Watcher (a) from a usb midi controller's keypresses as triggers and then (b) from the midi lfo module as triggers; (2) looked at the effects of the Micro Burst on a test patch I have been playing with using the Analog Shift Register's built-in White Noise Generator (again watching the results using Adroit's CV Watcher); (3a) patched just one of the Analog Shift Register's lines to the pitch control of an oscillator and (3b) the output of Micro Burst to the external trigger of the Analog Shift Register. This results in random bleeps. I imagine the results is probably similar to using a sample and hold as mentioned in the documentation.

This is just a very quick thing thrown together using a test preset I had been working on.
also a nice idea.

Steve W
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by Steve W » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:44 pm

xones2358 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:45 pm
I think of it as a kind of *ratcheter* which is not time synched but free in tempo. You can achieve some interesting material for drums. Try putting some gates from the Drum Sequencer through various Micro Bursts and from there to various Drum voice generators. (maybe mix with non bursted gates for variation) - then play with Micro Burst's controls - then put some LFO to the Micro Burst's CV inputs for variation. It works pretty well for glitched drum sounds.
Nice suggestion! Yesterday I had been thinking of further explorations in the direction of using percussive sounds. This is now on my list of paths to wander along. Thanks!

Also, thanks to StevenMikel for getting me started experimenting with the Micro Burst module.

StevenMikel
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 am

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by StevenMikel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Steve W wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 pm
StevenMikel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm
I did a really basic patch with MicroBurst. I was hoping somebody could show me/us a musical way of using MicroBurst.
I have been playing with a variety of musical "genres" over the years, including experimental; so its all musical to me. Is it fair to say by "musical way" you mean either (A) pitched, tonal (for example musical notes in keys possibly with tonal harmonies, chords, progressions, melodic development) or (B) non-pitched regularly metrical patterns of recognisable percussive sounds (for example beats people can dance to)?
Both

Steve W
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Micro Burst ?

Post by Steve W » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 am

StevenMikel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm
I did a really basic patch with MicroBurst. I was hoping somebody could show me/us a musical way of using MicroBurst.
Not sure how basic your basic patches have been. Here's a very basic use of Micro Burst as a one-shot arpeggiator (simple tonal example):

2021-03-11 Micro Burst Example 001a.png
2021-03-11 Micro Burst Example 001a.png (605.13 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Basic theory of operation (role of Micro Burst Module):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • USB keyboard outputs (a) a trigger, (b) a pitch, and (c) a gate.
  • keyboard trigger goes to (d) Micro Burst Module and (e) 8 step sequencer's reset
  • (f) pitch goes to CV offset of 8 step sequencer as the initial note of the one-shot arp
  • (g) gate goes to envelope generator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Micro Burst Module sends out up to 9 triggers for each USB keypress
  • the 8 step sequencer plays steps 1 -> 8 and stops
  • if the keypress is held down (i.e., sustained), the amp + env gen holds step 1
  • if another key is pressed, the 8 step sequencer resets to step 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option: Change the number of busts from 9 to 25 (or another multiple of the number of steps used + 1).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is far less creative than the experimental patches I have been playing with, but I hope it demonstrates the start of a tonal application. It is simple but could readily be made more complicated. Hope this helps.

Post Reply