Generative capability with Voltage Modular Core

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
zadude

Generative capability with Voltage Modular Core

Post by zadude »

Hello Everybody - I am new to Voltage Modular and am having a lot of fun playing with the built in presets. I am hoping to teach myself modular as I go along but also nice to know I can get started right away with the presets before me.

I am curious though, I don't see it at first glance but does Voltage Modular Core have generative capabilities with the current system or are additional modules needed to expand to generative capabilities. If that is the case, what would you recommend as the best and or cheapest way to start? I am open to all options.

Thanks
Rick
seal58

Re: Generative capability with Voltage Modular Core

Post by seal58 »

Hi Rick,

with modular sythesis you can do everything, you want.
Basically for generative setups first you will need accidental cv sources, that determine tone frequency and sound and second oscillators as tone source.

- Accidental cv you will get with noise generator and a S/H (sample and hold).
- In order to get harmonic tones, the cv should be quantised to halftones and fitted to a predefined tone scale. Therefor a scaler can be used.
- Series of tones can be obtained by sequencers , arpeggiators, shifters.
- Together with counters, delays, frequency dividers, boolean logic, signal feedback you can make the setup much as complex as you want.

Voltage Modular contains more than 100 different modules in kernel edition. You will find all modules, you need to build up a generative setup. It is recommended to load a manufacturers setup and and play and modify it, in order to get knowledge about function of all available modules.

If you have further wishes, see all the modules of other developers in the CA store. Mostly you can get modules free of charge as DEMO for some days. So you can test and find out, what you might need and later buy it.

VMs standard setup contains generative examples too. That can be very helpful for beginning your exploration.

You will heve much fun.
Roland
Steve W

Re: Generative capability with Voltage Modular Core

Post by Steve W »

I have done music relying on intentional randomizations. I am not sure if these fit into your generative music goals, if you are interested in non-repeating purely algorithmic structures, or what. I have looked up generative music and generative art and I am still unclear if non-algorithmic/aleatoric randomizations fit within the scope of generative music.

Anyhow, if chance randomizations fit in with what you want to do, you might want to look at https://store.cherryaudio.com/search?q=dice.

Return to “Voltage Modular”