Randomisation of 16th note triggers.

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
MM_Voltage

Randomisation of 16th note triggers.

Post by MM_Voltage »

I have a sustained MIDI note feeding into a sync divider at 16th notes which generates the expected machine gun effect.

However I’d like to place a module, or series of modules, in line to randomise the triggers. The closest I’ve got is by using a VCA but that is only affecting the output when instead I’d like to tackle it at source (ie the triggers)

Thoughts?

I have the Core bundle but not averse to buying another module for it.
seal58

Re: Randomisation of 16th note triggers.

Post by seal58 »

I remember some delays with cv controllable delay time.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

If i understand correctly:

I would use the -oh so useful- Probability Router from Insomniac Music. :idea:
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

It's not exactly clear what you are trying to achieve as the mention of MIDI suggest you might want to randomly remove MIDI messages (which is tricky), but assuming you just want to randomise gate signals then there are all kinds of approaches.

A few ideas...

If you already have a system that feeds random CV's to a VCA to gate the audio side then remember that you can use a VCA to gate triggers and gates as well as audio. It's all just voltages/numbers.

Also maybe take a look at Boolean Logic.

Random signals can be built using noise and Sample and Hold or just by mixing the outputs of several asynchronous LFOS.

The Threshold module can turn continuous signals into simple gates with control over the level at which the gates fire. You can use this to fine-tune probabilities.
MM_Voltage

Post by MM_Voltage »

Thanks all. I’ll have a chance to fire up the DAW in a couple hours so I’ll try the solutions above and also screenshot the patch to explain further what I’m trying to achieve.
MM_Voltage

Post by MM_Voltage »

xuoham wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:02 am If i understand correctly:

I would use the -oh so useful- Probability Router from Insomniac Music. :idea:
Thanks all. The Probability Router did the trick.

Ignore the LFO down the bottom, that's only there to receive an output from the second Probability 125 slot (it's smart enough to know how many things it has connected).

By placing the output 1 probability at 50% and then automating probability 2 above or below that amount I can control the likelihood of triggering. Then there's the option of sending an LFO to it so the options are endless.

:D :D :D
Attachments
probability.JPG
probability.JPG (163.14 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for sharing the task and the solution you found. I was also unsure what you had in mind, mainly because of your comment about wanting a source-based solution not a VCA-based solution. Yesterday I tackled the randomization issue using CA's Sample and Hold module and made a "Fake Morse Code Patch." Also, instead of the transport sync, I used an LFO. Based on your solution, today I swapped out the LFO and used the transport sync as you did but still using the S&H.

It was a fun exploration, so thanks you and to those who shared options.

Return to “Voltage Modular”