"Hide Manufacturers" function in store suggestion

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
honki-bobo

Re: "Hide Manufacturers" function in store suggestion

Post by honki-bobo »

Proposal: How about adding an "Invert Search" checkbox to the store, so you only get results that do not match your selected criteria?
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

I started using VM in November, when all of the Black Friday deals were hitting and I was a newcomer to the format, although not to modular. As a newbie, I found it very difficult to spot what I needed, what were good purchases, and what would just duplicate what I had as part of various other bundles.

OK, I worked it out to a degree, mainly through hard work filtering the various developers, multiple windows, some demo-ing, and then some buying and hoping. Luckily, I don't think I made many mistakes, and the duplicates seem to sit alongside each other quite well. What was interesting (to me, in my little bubble) was that some developers still seemed expensive, despite the deals, and some didn't appeal simply on looks. I also made use of the demo sounds, and the occasional review. I was looking for functionality and/or fun :)

Overall, it wasn't that easy getting from never having used VM to a position where I felt I had a really nice set of modules that allowed me to do what I heard in my head. From there, it was time to really start poking around in the store - and this was where I felt the need to filter out a few things. It wasn't simple, but the few clicks took me less than minute and I was viewing what interested me, and demo-ing and buying more modules.

I agree with what is being said, and I wanted to add my perspective as a new user who slowly became more knowledgeable. For me, a few things would have really helped, and would likely have resulted in more sales, or at least sales more quickly:
  • A better filtering system, including that "select all" box, after which some can be de-selected (as many have said);
  • A stacked new product notice, i.e. if a developer brings out more than one module, they are stacked behind one slot, which would be clickable, should you want to take a deeper look. This could even be one picture and a list of the modules. This might have to be triggered by more than one module over a number of days, otherwise they can simply bring one out per day and bypass the system;
  • A simple star-rating system, although this is open to abuse and hence would need to be linked to a verified purchase;
  • A way to review modules - I couldn't find one, so I guess the developers put these on themselves...? There are a few that I would like to praise; and
  • A better searchable categorisation system, some simple tags would be helpful but that would need to be retrospectively applied by developers.

On the star/rating system, that can be achieved via this forum, which also gives the developers the right of reply, and the ability to make changes where appropriate. Of course, not everyone will be bothered to look here and then navigate the store. Still, it's a start.

From a personal point of view, if I don't think a module fits with my thinking, or doesn't appear to be good value-for-money, I simply skip over it. This isn't about a witch hunt on one developer, more about helping people home in on what they want more easily. Admittedly, "mistakes" aren't that costly and luckily I've only made one or two. I've also got an amazing set of modules and the really fun ones are the ones that help me to think in a slightly different way.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

+1
That's a clear statement. Thank you!
Hopefully CA will see it and notice some proposals.
Roland
martb

Post by martb »

SpaceDog wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:47 pm
  • A better filtering system, including that "select all" box, after which some can be de-selected (as many have said);
  • A stacked new product notice, i.e. if a developer brings out more than one module, they are stacked behind one slot, which would be clickable, should you want to take a deeper look. This could even be one picture and a list of the modules. This might have to be triggered by more than one module over a number of days, otherwise they can simply bring one out per day and bypass the system;
  • A simple star-rating system, although this is open to abuse and hence would need to be linked to a verified purchase;
  • A way to review modules - I couldn't find one, so I guess the developers put these on themselves...? There are a few that I would like to praise; and
  • A better searchable categorisation system, some simple tags would be helpful but that would need to be retrospectively applied by developers.
I agree with your well made points. It should be noted that you can rate and review modules from within VM. Just right click on any module in the library section on the left and select 'info'. It seems that it doesn't sync up with what appears on the website, but it's something.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

martb wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm
I agree with your well made points. It should be noted that you can rate and review modules from within VM. Just right click on any module in the library section on the left and select 'info'. It seems that it doesn't sync up with what appears on the website, but it's something.
I didn't know that was there, and I see that I can add a star rating, although that doesn't carry across on to the website, but that's really helpful, thanks.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi all,

We just had a meeting on this issue, and we'll be making some changes to the store soon. Thank you for all your feedback!

Greg
martb

Post by martb »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 pm Hi all,

We just had a meeting on this issue, and we'll be making some changes to the store soon. Thank you for all your feedback!

Greg
Great! - Thanks for listening :)
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hey everyone!

We've reviewed all your comments and concerns here (as well as on Facebook) and met with a few Module Manufacturers personally to gather up suggestions and begin some overhauls to the store page.

After a thorough meeting and brainstorming session today, we'll be implementing some changes soon to the store page to help level the playing field for all Module Manufacturers. And, of course, help Voltage Modular users quickly find some awesome modules to explore their cabinets in new and exciting ways.

As Voltage Modular and the community continue to grow, we aim to address any scaling and growing pains! If you ever have any other suggestions, feel free to contact us directly (or post on the user forums) at any time and we'd be happy to note it down for our feedback and development meetings! Thanks to everyone for bringing this to our attention, and of course thank you for helping to make Voltage Modular into what it's become today! We're very excited to see the platform continue to grow, and we'll be sure to assist our Module Manufacturers in any way we can along the way!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 pm Hi all,

Greg
:D
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Thanks for listening. I look forward to seeing how things are adapted/changed :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”