How to "hold" incoming MIDI notes?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Steve W

Re: How to "hold" incoming MIDI notes?

Post by Steve W »

By XORing P.Moon's button 3 (latched) with the CV Source Note Trigger, replacement sustain works for single notes using the polyphonic wah-wah organ patch. :)

Single note replacment sustain.png
Single note replacment sustain.png (225.83 KiB) Viewed 3858 times

Thanks for the suggestions; I can definitely use this strategy in real time performances!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Just tested the P.Moon latching button -> XOR monophonic sustain strategy with monophonic modules (osc -> filter -> amp <- env gen). It worked. I used Andrew Macauley's Voltage Control Envelope.
darkness

Post by darkness »

Thanks for all of those tips, folks!
I'm very busy atm, means I didn't have time to really test everything yet.
But I can say for sure that all those suggestions will help me to improve my understanding of what's going on in a modular environment like VM.

For a beginner like me it can be quite overwhelming at times. I'm still dealing with some of the basics.
In addition english isn't my native language, which can be a bit of a hurdle sometimes when it comes to technical/musical terms.

Thanks again!
flucatcher

Post by flucatcher »

I just released a new module called poly midi that has a hold function.

Poly Midi, the polyphonic sibling of Mono Midi is released. For me, the most interesting features its adding is polyphonic aftertouch and a hold (freeze) button. Other than that, the features are fairly similar to Mono Midi:
4 midi groups
Assignable hold / freeze button
Assignable mute button
Assignable CV
Priority setting
Polyphonic Aftertouch

A 14 day demo and a 14 day release sale as always

Module link to the store:
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/poly-midi
darkness

Post by darkness »

flucatcher wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 am I just released a new module called poly midi that has a hold function. ...
Already bought it before reading this here. And mono midi about four days ago ;)
Very useful tools for me, thanks for creating!
flucatcher

Post by flucatcher »

Thanks! Reach out if you find any problems with it or have ideas on how it can be improved.
darkness

Post by darkness »

Had some time to play around with Poly MIDI and I think it's just awesome!
This is the perfect solution for this whole topic. It allows me to play, (re-)trigger and HOLD the notes I'm playing on the keyboard, independently for each source and without affecting each other. If I had to ask for a module it would have been this one. Great for atmospheric patches imo.

Allows me to play and hold different chords for the Pads, or retrigger the Arp with new notes whenever I want. And I don't even have to touch the mouse one single time 8-)
There might be other ways to achieve this, but I'm pretty sure everything else would require much more complex patching.

I encountered a few problems with MIDI learn functions.
When trying to learn the "CV C" outputs the learn button jumps to the "CV B" output. Short video here >> https://gofile.io/d/ew1VXj
This happens on all four "CV C" outputs. Outputs 3 and 4 also refuse to "learn" on the "CV" outputs. There's no reaction when twisting a knob on a MIDI controller. Had an AKAI MIDImix and a NI KompleteKontrol keyb connected, no response for both. And I was careful to be in the correct MIDI channel, fyi.
I'm on Win10 Enterprise, if that matters.

PolyMIDI-Atmo.voltagepreset
(50.85 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for sharing your patch!!!

I briefly demoed the Poly MIDI module yesterday and found it was not helpful for some VM mini host performance patches I have been working on. However, your patch gave me the opportunity to play around with the module and I like it!!! It should work nicely with some patches I worked on a few months ago based on a long time performing strategy layering sounds using 16 midi channels mainly from a single usb keyboard. With your patch (which I also like for the sounds you have), I test drove using the foot pedal (CC64) to latch the sounds on different channels. It will work for my needs!!!

Not sure if this is an issue for others, but I had some visual oddities when using VM's Learn to assign the hold button. (Not sure if there are other GUI issues.)
Attachments
Poly MIDI 001c.png
Poly MIDI 001c.png (60.39 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Last edited by Steve W on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Poly MIDI 001c-cu.png
Poly MIDI 001c-cu.png (17.26 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
darkness

Post by darkness »

Steve W wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 pm Thanks for sharing your patch!!! ...
Not sure if this is an issue for others, but I had some visual oddities when using VM's Learn to assign the hold button. (Not sure if there are other GUI issues.)
I'm glad to hear that posting the patch was useful for you, and I'm happy that you like the sounds as well.
I was in a hurry when posting it and forgot to clean up the patch. The oddities you're seeing are my fault, because I didn't remove my own MIDI assignments. For instance three perform buttons are still assigned. Which isn't even necessary, but I was testing things and forgot to remove those. When you're adding Poly MIDI into a new rack the oddities should be gone.
It's a (not-cleaned-up) test patch in first place. The Clock Divider in row 3 doesn't make sense at all, but I was running up to three Arps at one point and the Clock Divider is just a leftover of that.
Attachments
PerformButtons+cleanPolyMIDI.png
PerformButtons+cleanPolyMIDI.png (620.18 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”