Feature Request: Pop-out Library Window

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
jmatos

Feature Request: Pop-out Library Window

Post by jmatos »

Hi,

It would be great to have the library tab pop-out and have it as an individual window to see more modules in one glance. The constant vertical scrolling is quite tedious when you have a lot of modules.

Hopefully this would be something that isn't too complicated to add.

All the best and keep up the great work!
ColinP

Re: Feature Request: Pop-out Library Window

Post by ColinP »

I gave up on the Library some time ago and use the "Add Module..." option in the right click menu. It's far easier and quicker after a little practice.
jmatos

Post by jmatos »

ColinP wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:46 pm I gave up on the Library some time ago and use the "Add Module..." option in the right click menu. It's far easier and quicker after a little practice.
Ah, I didn't think about right clicking. That's definitely an improvement, but hopefully a pop-out Library that can go full screen can be implemented. Users shouldn't need to give up on something like this.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Yes, I think you are right.

I will give the Library another look once I get my new laptop next week - with acres of extra pixels to spare... :D

Also I believe CA have tweaked it since the last time I looked. It's always best to keep an open mind.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

This has my vote for sure. It would be great to move it to a second monitor (smaller of the two).
jmatos

Post by jmatos »

ColinP wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 pm Yes, I think you are right.

I will give the Library another look once I get my new laptop next week - with acres of extra pixels to spare... :D

Also I believe CA have tweaked it since the last time I looked. It's always best to keep an open mind.
Yeah, there's been improvements, definitely. But there could be more. It's the constant vertical scrolling that gets me. I'd just like to see more modules in one glance.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Yep, all that scrolling is a pain. It's all a bit last century and the twee little thumbnails are pretty much redundant.

I can do last century, being an old timer myself, but if you go down that route let's just have simple hierarchical menus that are so light touch as to have their own benefits in terms of speed and lack of screen occupancy. Hence my current preference for just using the right-click Add Module option - it's really fast and easy and takes up no real estate. But it does have the big downside that you need to already know what modules are there.

What would be really nice is if they could use some sort of extended html interface for the Library instead of hard wired widgets.

Say a core menu style top end that is under solid CA control for QA purposes. Something really lean and mean and then pretty much open ended browsing underneath that is agile and feature rich so it could be just like general web browsing with some kind of protocol for clicking on links to bring not just single modules but also small collections of pre-patched modules into play in the main window.

This could work really well on a dual monitor system with the main screen being the business end - like the current VM window and the second screen being effectively a web browser that can magically transport stuff to the main screen at the press of a link.

Hey, I can dream....

Return to “Voltage Modular”