Any chance for native Linux VST?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
antic604

Any chance for native Linux VST?

Post by antic604 »

I'm moving to Linux and selling all - or most - of my non-native plugins.

I'd love to take VM with me!

Is there any chance it will ever be ported there? :?:
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Any chance for native Linux VST?

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

We don't currently have plans to make a Linux version. You could probably run it on Linux using Wine.

Greg
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

Or VirtualBox. 8-)
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.
andro

Post by andro »

OP is asking for native Linux, not virtual machine implementations.

Of all the audio manufacturers I am impressed that Bitwig supports Linux (irrelevant to the question, but interesting anyway).
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

andro wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:00 pm OP is asking for native Linux, not virtual machine implementations.

Of all the audio manufacturers I am impressed that Bitwig supports Linux (irrelevant to the question, but interesting anyway).
not irrelevant to the question... hi antic! it is strange, or not strange, to see people on different fora..

is there a way, bitwig supports linux, to load voltage modular as a vst, in linux, bitwig i mean? i don't use linux, but i thought i saw in a thread, that someone, had a solution for it. maybe i read it wrong.

EDIT: it maybe vst's made especially for linux, which can be compiled for linux, me thinks.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
rfj

Post by rfj »

antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 am I'm moving to Linux and selling all - or most - of my non-native plugins.

For now the only modular synth that runs native in Linux is the excellent open source VCV Rack wich has a huge base of users around the world and hundreds of modules for free. Give it a tray. Currently is a DAW stand alone but a VST version is coming soon. I use VCV Rack and it’s excellent. I think Voltage Modular and VCV Rack both are the software that best replicates the expirience and feeling of using a hardware euro rack. I also own Softube Modular but it,s not as feature rich as Voltage Modular. Softube Modular hasn,t MIDI learn for instance, and repositioning modules in Softube Modular is a pain in the ass....
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

rfj wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 am I'm moving to Linux and selling all - or most - of my non-native plugins.

For now the only modular synth that runs native in Linux is the excellent open source VCV Rack wich has a huge base of users around the world and hundreds of modules for free. Give it a tray. Currently is a DAW stand alone but a VST version is coming soon. I use VCV Rack and it’s excellent. I think Voltage Modular and VCV Rack both are the software that best replicates the expirience and feeling of using a hardware euro rack. I also own Softube Modular but it,s not as feature rich as Voltage Modular. Softube Modular hasn,t MIDI learn for instance, and repositioning modules in Softube Modular is a pain in the ass....
o yes VCV rack runs on linux, but as vst also, when it becomes available??
softube modular, the latest version has midi learn... and yes the workflow of softube modular can be much better, hasn't that many features, but still a soft modular that i use a lot, because the modules in it a simply great, and i am used to softube modular. i use voltage modular more, but i make different things in VM. that's what i like. for me they don't compete but are simply more "modular racks" in my ITB studio...

this is my running gag (not very funny, i am not funny :roll: ) i have reaktor blocks (with 6 i think third party packs, or 7, a lot of blocks/modules), softube modular (also a lot of modules, but not the new ones, or i mean, not statement or monoment, i have bought model 72, and parallels.. and all the other modules..), and voltage modular, quite a lot of modules, and yes made a lot of sounds, music with it. also have VCV rack, bought some stuff that i liked. i have 5 DAW's (or 8 if you count it another way...). so i can lay back when there is a discussion about ableton or bitwig, vcv rack or voltage modular, etc etc etc. it comes with a price, but the peace i have found.... (it is cheaper then to go to india for some years...)
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
dreamer

Post by dreamer »

The VST runs in Carla with wine, however it is unable to connect to the internet to login to the account.
Same for the standalone. Runs fine, but is unable to login.

Building a Linux version should be quite trivial by the way, since the whole thing is made in JUCE.
Especially now that JUCE6 is out which supports cmake it's really stupidly easy to do.

Too bad almost no audio developers have the technical knowledge of how compilers work ..
unholyeyebrows

Post by unholyeyebrows »

Hi Cherry Audio devs

It's been a couple of years since this original post and so I wanted to ask again (please, pretty please!) if Linux versions (CLAP or VST) could be created for all of your products? I own most of them but am trying to move over from Windows to Debian and would love to take these plugins with me.

I already have all of the U-He and TAL Audio plugins which cover a decent number of vintage synths but the Cherry Audio library has so many other good sounds.

How about this for a suggestion: Instead of trying to generate Linux plugins for every product, how about just convert one (perhaps your best seller, or your next release) and see if there is a demand?

Really hope this can be a possibility!

Many thanks,
Nick
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Hey Nick,

if you still have a spare Windows PC or if you are willing to run Windows in a VirtualBox on Linux, maybe this is something for you: https://audiogridder.com/. You could run the server on the Windows (virtual) machine and use the plugin in your DAW on Linux.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube

Return to “Voltage Modular”