some (personal?) observations

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
HowlingMod

some (personal?) observations

Post by HowlingMod »

(this is copy & paste from the feature recquest thread, was the wrong place)

the polyphonic modules, really polyphonic. i discussed this in the latest stream. the answer was: as close to the original model.
but this a digital environment, and polyphonic is for MPE, and other purposes quite the bomb... i mean the cherry audio polyphonic modules.

the ms-20 oscillator, strange choices, also the ms-20 filter. keytrack is polyphonic, in the filter, but not freq and peak...
what is the use of a polyphonic module, that can't be CV controlled polyphonically? which means per voice.
and all the others. i like them, no doubt.

make a better MPE module, with lift, and curves. makes voltage modular, with the above enhancements, a fully capable MPE modular.

or a module (polyphonic) that is an MSEG, but can also react to in the incoming signal, so not (only) time based, but (also) voltage based.

there is so much potential.

and double check; are the GUI thread(s) and the audio thread not competing? in cubase this is always the case.
or it is my system, that can take a lot, i take the example of softube modular, it brings "bigger" systems to its knees.
it acts suprisingly good on desktop, with only a i7-6700K at 4.4 ghz (conservative overclock), the openGL implementation is perfect (ok at this moment their is a serious bug in softube's plugins with openGL).

and, but this will be a big problem, many developers have overlapping modules. perhaps this is a personal matter, perhaps people can tell me that they act totally different, but the overlap is getting bigger and bigger, but the possibilties of voltage modular aren't explored (well their are of course enough developers that do this, so it is not with all developers). they are explored, but not enough in my eyes.

i shall not mention names, because i don't have those overlapping modules (or one or two or three). i can't judge what i don't use.

it is an observation, and i can be wrong.

but still there a lot of modules, the last year for example, that really explore the possibilties of voltage modular (also by cherry audio themselves).
i can't complain they are excellent.

still have the feeling: cherry audio themselves are vintage orientated, modular and synths, a great focus, it is an addition.
but as i already mentioned, perhaps making a great vintage module, does not mean, that polyphonic capabilities can be extended.

(and i believe that it isn't a part of voltage modular designer, a fast port to polyphonic, it is one of the big features of voltage modular.)
(of course you can do a lot with monophonic modules, and can have it's advantages, 8 filters, for 8 voices, but slightly different... or even, per voice, the MPE can be set differently. perhaps that is perhaps better. but sometimes..).

and still have the feeling; too many overlapping modules. and of course the third party developers are independent, and must be. so it is not really a thing that you can easily change. perhaps not.

make polyphony a "kernel" part of the voltage modular... it isn't the right term, i mean, we all look at that other rack... where it doesn't matter... it is part of the SDK.. (of course there are monophonic modules in that rack, for some brands you must pay to get the polyphonic ones...)

to be fully clear, and it is noticed (also by some (i don't mention..)) i am a very active VM user. and that has a reason, i cherry pick (pun intended), i almost never made a bad choice, for buying something.

voltage modular is a big part of how a work, that counts. or better: it means that means a lot to me.

it is more a disclaimer: i already can do a lot, but sometimes, i stumble on limits, and i like limits, but these limits, are limiting the potential.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
andro

Re: some (personal?) observations

Post by andro »

As a sincere student of Chinese language myself, there is a saying:

Limitations reveal the Master.

cheerio!
Andrew
HowlingMod

Re: some (personal?) observations

Post by HowlingMod »

andro wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am As a sincere student of Chinese language myself, there is a saying:

Limitations reveal the Master.

cheerio!
Andrew
yes, it is a expression of goethe (has he copied, or robbed it from the chinese???)

n der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister,
Und das Gesetz nur kann uns Freiheit geben.

most of times these lines, from a poem of goethe, are abused. in way that i don't like... they are interpreted (the word interpretation is already a big problem...) in way, i think you know how. not my interpretation. better not my way of working.

but limitations offer indeed new way of thinking, freedom, in a sense, although freedom (o well..).

i agree, i like limitations. but sometimes.

i like Laws, or Demands as i call them, i limit myself. so in a way there is an overlap with that saying, but it is quite different.

but sometimes..
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Voltage Modular”