cabling in/out of cabinets?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
silden

cabling in/out of cabinets?

Post by silden »

I notice that there seems to be no way to have the saved cabinets remember where to put the links in and out. This seems like it would be a problem going forward. I'm thinking it would need a patch module maybe at either end of the cabinet (if lots of interconnect) and then labelling each patch to indicate their use.

Is this what others do or is there a less cumbersome way?

thanks
schoekah

Re: cabling in/out of cabinets?

Post by schoekah »

sounds to me like you're doing it the best way, but there are probably lots of best practices that I don't know about when making a patch:
- ordering modules from left to right in the direction of signal flow
- color coding your wires differently for CV, audio, clock, percussion, etc
- using the bus feature instead of wires
- sometimes mixers at the end all the way on the right, so you know where the audio out is

also, you've probably thought of this, but descriptive file names - I put prefixes in the front of my file names to group them together by purpose: FM, SEQ, PERC, etc
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

This reminds me about a wish list feature i had : a replace function, meaning that provided you replace the same kind of module, let's say a filter, it inherits all the connections at the right place.

This is a feature in Plogue Bidule.

I guess that the difficulty comes from the fact that modules in VM are not only made by CA but by many developers, and maybe there is no harmonization of terminal labels.
silden

Post by silden »

xuoham wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 am This reminds me about a wish list feature i had : a replace function, meaning that provided you replace the same kind of module, let's say a filter, it inherits all the connections at the right place.

This is a feature in Plogue Bidule.

I guess that the difficulty comes from the fact that modules in VM are not only made by CA but by many developers, and maybe there is no harmonization of terminal labels.
Yes that would have been so good when I was testing the MBR kit but like you said it's difficult as not all the same in/outs.

Return to “Voltage Modular”