how good is MRB Lab bundle? - answer very good!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
MRBarton

Re: how good is MRB Lab bundle?

Post by MRBarton »

OK, I've let this go on long enough. ;) It looks like people want to know why the Lab Bundle, while looking like it has modules similar to what you may already own, is actually quite different. I'll briefly (if I can) outline how and why.

First of all, I know folks are intimidated by the seeming complexity of the panels. In reality, everything is there to make the modules easier to use, and all those knobs and switches really impress your friends.

VCO: Multiple modulation inputs with attenuverters, no need for a modulation mixer. Similarly, output mixing, multiple VCOs can be mixed into a destination again with no mixer. Variable strength sync, none thru hard. Switchable quantized coarse tuning knob makes it effortless to tune to notes. Polyphonic version has poly and mono jacks on every input with mono output available. Spread switch turns fine tuning knob into a spread control which splays the tuning of voices for richness at audio and asynchronicity when used as a polyphonic LFO (my favorite feature).

VCF: Internal structure is unique to this filter. Output mixing allows dialing in the timbre. 2/4 pole (12db/24db) switch actually changes the filter's structure rather than just tapping off at different points. Capable of ridiculous Q (resonance) up to 4000. Great for physical modeling. Multiple FM inputs with attenuverters. Poly version's features similar to VCO above. Capable of imitating lots of other filters through output mixing and voltage controlled Q.

VCA: Initial CV knob allows opening as well as burying the response. Linear/exponential knob rather than switch allows dialing in the sweet spot (and there always is one). You won't know how you did without that. Stereo.

Envelope Gen: Velocity as well as gate input provides dynamic envelope without the need for a VCA. Velocity response is adjustable. Snappy to the extreme.

Dirt: Distortion with huge harmonic and intermodulation generation with lots of high end. Perfect food for any filter.

Voice & SemiModular Voice: These are full blown monophonic synthesizers sporting the algorithms of all the above modules. They are huge space savers and great learning tools. The SemiModular version has a mod input for everything. It may not look like a vintage synth, but it kicks all their butts.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope I've provided the facts you were looking for. There are detailed descriptions of each module on their respective pages. I've mentioned all the modules that may overlap with what you may already own, and of course there are more modules in the bundle with more coming. As I've said, my goal is to make this bundle so top-heavy, it just tips over into everyone's cart. :D

--mb
silden

Post by silden »

MRBarton wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 am OK, I've let this go on long enough. ;) It looks like people want to know why the Lab Bundle, while looking like it has modules similar to what you may already own, is actually quite different. I'll briefly (if I can) outline how and why.

--mb
Hey mb!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I think it will be useful for anyone with the same question especially noobs like myself who don't appreciate the ins and outs (pun intended). You came a little late for me lol as I already made my decision! I couldn't resist. I already broke the bank with what I spent already so the extra was not going to land me in any more trouble with the missus than I already was lol. And of course if I had the Lab I HAD to have the filters too didn't I ? ;-)

I left the zeroscillator 'till Christmas. I needed to make some sort of a concession!! lol!

I'm so looking forward to getting to grips with all of this. - Just slightly worried where I will steal the time from!

Thanks again
Sid
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

Hi Sid,

Thanks so much. Don't worry about being a noob. Everybody started that way, and you can certainly leave the ZO for later -- you've got plenty to play with.

I know what you mean about time, but if you want to get in good with the misses about your preoccupation with synths, just write her a song. Record it in secret and put her name in it. That's what I did. Worked like a charm! To this day, I can strum the opening chord on a guitar and it still gets a smile.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Mark, sorry, as a happpy owner of your modules i wanted to testify how good and necessary they are,
but at the end i probably just sowed confusion, lol. :oops:
silden

Post by silden »

MRBarton wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 am if you want to get in good with the misses about your preoccupation with synths, just write her a song.
Lolol that's a great idea as long as I don't sing!!!! :lol:
silden

Post by silden »

xuoham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 am Mark, sorry, as a happpy owner of your modules i wanted to testify how good and necessary they are,
Well absolutely you did NOT put me off and I found what you wrote very helpful. My slight confusion was only in that first post and you clarified it excellently - TY :D
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

xuoham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 am Mark, sorry, as a happpy owner of your modules i wanted to testify how good and necessary they are,
well I followed the links to your website in your signature, and have been enjoying your music!
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

schoekah wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm well I followed the links to your website in your signature, and have been enjoying your music!
Hey ! Thank you ! :o Makes my day !
silden

Re: how good is MRB Lab bundle? - answer very good!

Post by silden »

Just an update after I bought and used these for a while.... The bundle is really a no brainer once you've bought it! There are lots of little additions to the modules that are not on the stock CA ones. Now I have the MRB stuff I see it really oozes quality (not to say others dont!). So... yes it was well worth buying. :D
Last edited by silden on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silden

Post by silden »

xuoham wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:42 am
schoekah wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm well I followed the links to your website in your signature, and have been enjoying your music!
Hey ! Thank you ! :o Makes my day !
@xuoham Yeh I took a look too. Really enjoyed what I found -very organic! I now have you on spotify :P . Gives me something to aspire to!

Return to “Voltage Modular”