Voltage Modular + Arturia Beatstep Pro MIDI sync

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
zerotonin

Voltage Modular + Arturia Beatstep Pro MIDI sync

Post by zerotonin »

Hello,

I am wondering if there's anyone here who has this gear combo, like me?
I'm trying to figure out how to get the PLAY / STOP / etc. connections to work with a hardware MIDI sequencer. It works ok in a DAW but it's starting to seem impossible from BSP. What I'd like to do is use the BSP as master sync, and transport.

Anyone got some tips, workarounds, alternative ways of looking at the problem?

cheers

-gabriel
Koshdukai

Re: Voltage Modular + Arturia Beatstep Pro MIDI sync

Post by Koshdukai »

ah, here's your x-post. Well, I'll x-post my reply from KVR too:
Unless something changed in the meantime, I'm not aware that the top Transport and/or MIDI "From Host" sources are able to handle Clock/MMC->Transport from incoming MIDI active ports listed in the Settings Audio/MIDI section (unfortunately).

So, you should try adding a MIDI IN module, set it to your BSP MIDI port and then connect its MIDI out to a MIDI Clock Divider module which will solve the Clock issue... but won't solve the PLAY/STOP through MMC.

To solve that, you'll need to use the MIDI CC CONVERTER module to converter certain CC's into CV outputs.
These CC's are to be set (or check the default ones) in the BSP through the Arturia MIDI Crontrol Center.
Be sure to set BSP's "Transports" to BOTH or at least to MIDI so the CCs are sent out.

All this could be much easier if the standalone could handle MIDI Clock + MMC right out of the Active ports. This would be much more useful than the global normalization of MIDI input which I still disagree with as a "major useful feature". To me that is a needless lazy "improvement" but who am I to disagree with the devs... I'm just a simple user of the damn thing ;P

These CherryAudio forum posts might help too:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=235
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=970

Return to “Voltage Modular”