vector waveshaping synthesis

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
HowlingMod

vector waveshaping synthesis

Post by HowlingMod »

perhaps i am blind, and you can already do it in VM.

i make my own sounds. but i am not an expert in synthesis, the very deep detailed synthesis... (i know additive, substractive, FM/PM, phase wave distortion like what i mentioned later, is new for me, in way. there is always an overlap, the borders aren't that really defined of course. so i read a lot of articles, i experiment a lot. but i am not an expert, although i can get stuff, with even simple things, i have send a project to someone, who wanted to make a variant, and told me how i used a specific sampler was quite remarkabe. only to say, i can get, even people have more experience, can do things, perhaps because of my limitations, a well known thing...)

if you look here:

https://futureaudioworkshop.com/what-is ... synthesis/

the video, it seems it can be done with a wavetable, but that is in way static.

vcv rack (sorry) has hora detour now, i bought the bundle a long time ago, so i have the "full" version, understanding how to sine waves can do this, what are the DSP parts, that can do this... if you think too simple: you take 2 oscillators.... no stop.
it is related to the casio cz.

then you have cadmium, the link above is from circle2, and of course you have now pendulate and generate.

because of the caudal module... i am trying to dig in, above my "paygrade", to mimic this.
what generate, the double pendulum mode of the oscillator (it always are two oscillators: some do modulator/carrier, detour seems to it different, but i must look at an article... PM = FM, most of the times true, but this isn't PM, i think).

i think you see it already. i am my ow blind leading the blind... but it is fun...

perhaps someone can chime in, if interested of course (that is evident...).

X Y axes, like the vector bundle is great.

perhaps i am overcomplating things, or my approach takes a long time... it isn't a simple thing...

just a thought, personal, yes. but perhaps, i repeat (i am repeater, i like feedback loops via cables..), it is interesting, challenging, a "new" way of synthesis, that in a modular enviromnent can really come to it's full potential.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
HowlingMod

Re: vector waveshaping synthesis

Post by HowlingMod »

i post a reply myself;

FM/AM modulation, Y X (in that order), with multiple waveforms.
and modulators that have different "waves", like caudal, with it's 3 modes, the first pendulum...

i think it is build on top on many different synthesis, and modulations. the difficulty is to descontruct.

EDIT:

aha:

Fundamentally, our VPS oscillator takes a pair of sine waves with specific frequencies and glues them together at a specific time. With control over two parameters, which determine the frequencies of the sine waves and the location at which they are glued together, a VPS oscillator provides a new level of control over the waveform’s intricate harmonics.

that is the casio cz way, in a way.

EDIT 2:

i think i am stubbling on more than one approaches, that can be combined. in seperate modules perhaps.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I am new to Voltage Modular; just starting to explore individual modules. However, I was intrigued by the direction of your thinking and what I think you are looking for. Let me be clear: being new to VM, I am not sure I understand what you are looking for (but I will try to see if I am close) and I am not sure what modules VM has (from Cherry Audio of 3rd parties) that will help--in indeed it can be done.

I am familiar with the concept of waveshaping, Casio's use of Phase Distortion [CZ line], and Casio's use of interactive Phase Distortion [VZ line]. In fact, on my list of things to do is to trying using the FM Station modules (and other modules if necessary) to try to re-create some of my personal VZ patches.

Let me make sure I understand what you are looking for. The video you linked illustrates a looping waveform where the shape of the waveform itself gets changed. I understand you are calling that static, but I am unclear what you are trying to do that goes beyond that type of waveshaping. That might be because I am unfamiliar with the other audio tools you mention.

While testing the FM Station, I set some of the knobs on my usb controller to control various FM Station parameters. To my ear, it sounded very much like I was affecting the sound by distorting a basic sound; however, I did not look at it on a 'scope.

Thanks for your thoughts; it gives me some direction to go in when I return to my FM Station sonic explorations. In the meantime, if a VM expert can explain how to do it, I am all ears.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

Steve W wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:46 am I am new to Voltage Modular; just starting to explore individual modules. However, I was intrigued by the direction of your thinking and what I think you are looking for. Let me be clear: being new to VM, I am not sure I understand what you are looking for (but I will try to see if I am close) and I am not sure what modules VM has (from Cherry Audio of 3rd parties) that will help--in indeed it can be done.

I am familiar with the concept of waveshaping, Casio's use of Phase Distortion [CZ line], and Casio's use of interactive Phase Distortion [VZ line]. In fact, on my list of things to do is to trying using the FM Station modules (and other modules if necessary) to try to re-create some of my personal VZ patches.

Let me make sure I understand what you are looking for. The video you linked illustrates a looping waveform where the shape of the waveform itself gets changed. I understand you are calling that static, but I am unclear what you are trying to do that goes beyond that type of waveshaping. That might be because I am unfamiliar with the other audio tools you mention.

While testing the FM Station, I set some of the knobs on my usb controller to control various FM Station parameters. To my ear, it sounded very much like I was affecting the sound by distorting a basic sound; however, I did not look at it on a 'scope.

Thanks for your thoughts; it gives me some direction to go in when I return to my FM Station sonic explorations. In the meantime, if a VM expert can explain how to do it, I am all ears.
i fired up my arturia cz v, i didn't really used it, made already 2 nice patches, yes the video is phase distortion. and now i know how it works....
it is easy, but to descontruct it in detail is another step. or easy, it is easy to understand, but of course, to make great patches, that is never easy, takes control, more in depth insights...

you can do it FM, with envelopes? change over time.

pendualte you can freely dowload from the eventide website.

it is totally different. it uses a so called chaos oscillator as modulator for a normal oscillator, but there is of X Y modulation, how? what is happening there? perhaps more under the hood, then i can see.

i came, while, searching on vector waveshaping synthesis.

so my posts were brainstorms, and made too quickly. no i going more in depth (also try (if have time) to read a pdf, a book about FM, that covers, many aspects, also phase, additive (in a way), because yes FM causes phase shiftst, harmonics shifts, so all synthesis are tight toegether).

i am used to work in FM8, in a way with envelopes, you can change the complete character of resulting sound, i used it, envelopes are a big part of FM.

fast, first response, i will try to make a clearer pictures of the "new" synthesis of pendulate, that can be mimiced, or you can get the same results, with DWG from reaktor, someone says somewhere, and morphing filters, wavefolders are all over the place (Weevil's wavefolder is west coast based, and pretty, or damn good).

i am trying to make people enthousiastic to other approaches. but i am no expert, no dsp programmer.

i read articles about synhtesis, i know my way around, but it isn't my daily job, to call it that way. i am not a sounddesigner by profession, but all my tracks begin with sounddesign, the sounds determines the tracks.

but i am happily surprised that it inspired you to experiment. i try to experiment, with the caudal module for instance, but at first a always too fast, then it settles, and go deeper, scopes, etc. several simple setups, to see what is happening, instead of a full blown patch, that doesn't work as intended (but sometimes happy accidents).

there are more experimental modules in VM, and as for example mark barton proved, physical modelling, with VCF's, it is in the preset exchange parentthread. or subthread. o threads!

so you can a lot with the modules that are around. but that means for me a step forward, more insight in synthesis, or better deconstruction of the paths or scheme's/diagriams.

EDIT: in way my postings were to inspire me, and others. with a little help from more people, perhaps we can get, more...

but still i must deconstruct my own post, too many synthesis, although in the same category of X Y, to make it more clear.

and perhaps, it is quite possible, it is a modular, you can get a lot, with the modules available. i have VM a longer time, not all stuff, but the stuff i like, still a lot...

Return to “Voltage Modular”