DAW sync & other questions

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Captain

DAW sync & other questions

Post by Captain »

Hey,

Just purchased Voltage & been playing it with for a moment. I'm using Voltage as an AU plugin in the latest version of Logic & OS X. Liking what I have seen so far, but I have a couple of questions:

For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to properly sync the sequencer modules to the host. I checked several presets, but all of them seem to use internal sync, so no help there. (The lack of any kind of proper manual isn't helping either, but I'm very much hoping it's coming? :) ) The closest I got is to route Play & Stop from the Transport module to the corresponding input jacks in the sequencer, and Sync out -> Clock Divider -> Ext clk in the sequencer module. This kind of works, the sequencer starts and stops with Logic, but it's always randomly out of sync (the tempo is right, but there's a seemingly random lag/delay/offset between Voltage & Logic). Voltage can be either ahead or behind the DAW, and it changes every time I press play. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
EDIT: Just found the Sync divider module, which makes dialing in specific note values a little easier than Clock divider, but the offset/lag problem still remains...
EDIT2: A-ha, when I also connect the Transport / Play to Sync Divider / Reset, the random delay is gone. But still, it seems Voltage is always a little ahead of Logic? About 260 samples, to be exact... A tutorial patch showing how to do this properly would be most welcome. :)
EDIT3: Tried it one more time, and now it's perfectly in sync! Arrrgh... maybe I'm just stupid. So, forget this issue, at least for now. :lol:

Another thing: Seems like input & output jacks look graphically identical. Am I missing something, or wouldn't it be better to make them different for easy identification?

And one more thing: The interface of Voltage can get super slow, but I guess that's partly because I'm using a 5K monitor with a MacBook (2017 model). I have seen similar slowness in other software too, so it could be I'm just asking too much from a laptop GPU. I managed to make it a little faster by turning off some fanciness in the cable gfx. Also, the standalone feels a little faster, so it could also be some overhead caused by the AU version.

I'm very much looking forward to the Module Designer. It's a brilliant idea, and something that I think could make a big difference between Voltage & some competitors. Can't wait to try it!

BTW, why not start an official forum at KVR, like many other developers? Running your own dedicated forum software is... so 2000's. :) Would save you a lot of energy, and many users wouldn't have to register one more username in one more forum.
Hedgemunkees

Re: DAW sync & other questions

Post by Hedgemunkees »

not worked with logic but everything ok in ableton and reason...

Return to “Voltage Modular”