Novation ASIO Control Panel Crash

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
tarkus1971

Novation ASIO Control Panel Crash

Post by tarkus1971 »

Hi

If I try and access the Novation USB ASIO Audio Control Panel from VM2.25 in standalone mode, VM crashes back to desktop.

Any ideas why this is happening, it also did this in earlier versions.

I use a novation ultranova as a controller keyboard and use VM as a standalone modular synth on it's own dedicated PC using my ultranova as a USB Audio interface to the VM2, running audio outs 1 & 2 to my USB Mixer and feeding that into my main studio PC.

I have Windows 10 64bit, 4 core CPU and 8Gb or Ram.....

Regards
schoekah

Re: Novation ASIO Control Panel Crash

Post by schoekah »

when in doubt, simplify. . .
unplug as many of the devices in your audio hardware chain as possible (like temporarily get rid of that mixer, and the second computer,) and see if you get the same error
if the error goes away, keep adding hardware back until the error reappears. the problem was the driver to that device (or its cables, or one of the jacks)
(that's kind of generic advice, b/c I can't visualize your hardware chain and signal flow, but troubleshooting complicated setups is silly - make 'em simple while things aren't working)

get it working on one computer before integrating another
sample rates the same across your computers?
firmware update for ultranova (I wouldn't do that, myself, but they put those out to solve problems)

try different settings on your sample rate and buffer size:
https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... ting-guide

make sure you're running the latest drivers:
https://customer.novationmusic.com/en/s ... d_type=all

but, it wouldn't surprise me if one or more of your cables is too long, or too low quality for how long it is, or signal bleed from cable coils or nearby cables, or electrical interference, ground loops, exceeding rated capacity of electrical socket. . .
so temporarily move your computer closer to your ultranova, and use a shorter, higher quality cable to see if the problem exists
and suggest not using ultranova as sound card while you're troubleshooting its functionality as MIDI controller & v.v.

best of luck!
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Thanks for the info. I have tried most of that, my laptop and PC setup are Windows 10 and the ASIO control panel runs ok outside of VM, but if I try and access from within VM it crashes out. On a Windows 7 PC the ASIO control works fine both inside and outside of VM. Odd. It's not a biggie because I can sent the latency outside of VM, just thought there might be a simple solution.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

cool, thanks for the update!

Return to “Voltage Modular”