How to add presets

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JJHP3

How to add presets

Post by JJHP3 »

Hi Folks

I have the presets in the correct hard drive location. I made a folder in that folder "WebPresets" and placed some of the terrific patches fellow forum users created inside. Inside VM (2.0.7) I see the folder(s) but the presets I added are not visible. How should I be doing this? Is there a more clear explanation about the preset menu inside VM?

Thanks in advance, John

(Mac-OS 10.13.6)
schoekah

Re: How to add presets

Post by schoekah »

well, don't have MacOS, don't know how you made that folder, don't know what the webpresets folder is or what it's supposed to do, assuming that you meant 2.0.17, but I'd try making another folder from within VM by saving some nonsense set of modules, then navigating to it through the MacOS file structure, and drag/drop those presets in there. confirm that the folder that VM made for you is in the location in the settings/general/presets folder field

I guess MacOS doesn't have file extensions, but I'd also confirm what kind of file those presets are, and if it's the same kind of file as other presets that VM can actually see.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

You need to create one main folder followed by category folders. The presets should be added to the category folders. Copy some of the existing structures from other preset collections. Hope this helps!
JJHP3

Post by JJHP3 »

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't quite answer my beginner questions. Here is a screen shot of the folder that VM made, with subfolders, some of which contain presets, but only some of which show up in VM.

Thanks again for looking at this... - John
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.16.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.16.52 AM.png (214.68 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

your folders probably need that .presetdb file for each top level folder in the preset directory, which is probably generated by VM, so I'd
- copy all those folders and presets that you made out of that directory
- delete the folders that you created
- drag and drop one preset at a time into VM, then save it from inside VM, creating the folders that you want via the VM save dialogue

don't know if there's a quicker way to do it, but that'll probably work
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

You need to put your .voltagepreset files in category folders, ie:

> Presets > YourPresetPack > Category1 > mypreset.voltagepreset

One flaw is that it requires a category.

The .presetDB files are cached data and can be deleted...it will just rebuild it.

Return to “Voltage Modular”