Idea: would love a more real looking VM gui

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
sincostan

Idea: would love a more real looking VM gui

Post by sincostan »

I enjoy VM a lot. I think it looks fine too, no issues here.

But VM is a modular emulation for me and I like that it emulates an real world analog workflow.I know it's superficial to think that, but I would like VM even more with a bit more real looking gui design. I like the more real looking softube modular design for example.
andro

Re: Idea: would love a more real looking VM gui

Post by andro »

Well that's a controversial can of worms if ever. That's skeuomorphism. VM is already highly skeuomorphic. There are arguments against it. If you consider VCV Rack, the design centre is mostly flat non-skeuomorphic panels. Most designers seem to prefer that nowadays.

For a bit of a chat about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph
SLiC

Post by SLiC »

Yes, the Softube modules look amazing, but they also cost around 40-150E each! When you are charging that much, you can afford a graphic designer and they are also officially licenced to the module owners so no copyright issues!
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

andro wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:49 am Well that's a controversial can of worms if ever. That's skeuomorphism. VM is already highly skeuomorphic. There are arguments against it. If you consider VCV Rack, the design centre is mostly flat non-skeuomorphic panels. Most designers seem to prefer that nowadays.

For a bit of a chat about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph
As said, I see VM as an emulation of an analog modular synth and I like that. There are modulars with modern interfaces like in the bitwig modular that should not be skeuomorphic, but for VM it adds to the flavour in my opinion.

Return to “Voltage Modular”