A few Questions from a N00b and Hello

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
soundmagus

A few Questions from a N00b and Hello

Post by soundmagus »

Hi guys,

Just recently got VM2 and loving it, also my first post here so "Hello" :)

I have a few questions and would appreciate any suggestions/answers.

Firstly i havea Squarp Pyramid which sends midi to the VM2 fine when its in Plugin mode in Cubase but VM2 doesnt pick it up at all im standalone, any ideas?

Is it possible to send CV data/Midi data out of VM2 to my Modular/Semi modular hardware gear? If so how? Video tut?

Also how would i go about sending multiple midi channels from the squarp into VM2 to control multiple sound sources?

As i am completely new to VM2 and only using the free version at the minute, what are your suggestions for upgrading, is the $99 upgrade worth it or should i be looking at other bundles etc?

thanks for any input guys,

Mark
schoekah

Re: A few Questions from a N00b and Hello

Post by schoekah »

soundmagus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 am Hi guys,

Just recently got VM2 and loving it, also my first post here so "Hello" :)

I have a few questions and would appreciate any suggestions/answers.

Firstly i havea Squarp Pyramid which sends midi to the VM2 fine when its in Plugin mode in Cubase but VM2 doesnt pick it up at all im standalone, any ideas?

Is it possible to send CV data/Midi data out of VM2 to my Modular/Semi modular hardware gear? If so how? Video tut?

Also how would i go about sending multiple midi channels from the squarp into VM2 to control multiple sound sources?

As i am completely new to VM2 and only using the free version at the minute, what are your suggestions for upgrading, is the $99 upgrade worth it or should i be looking at other bundles etc?

thanks for any input guys,

Mark
Welcome!

Here's a vid on integrating VM with hardware
(I don't own hw, so I won't be able to answer many questions)
https://youtu.be/aY11W4CgD9Y

I'd say core is good for you since it has tons of MIDI integration modules, including "MIDI channel filter", which will allow you to route MIDI info on various MIDI channels to particular modules. also has another 14 MIDI modules for converting to cv, clock, sync, etc.
https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular ... comparison

Cheers!
SLiC

Re: A few Questions from a N00b and Hello

Post by SLiC »

Sending CV out is a little more complicated than midi unless you have specific audio hardware (DC coupled) and plug in software or something like expert sleepers (hardware) module to safely convert an audio out to a voltage (or visa versa)

The ES-8 is very popular, I use a couple of ES3's as my audio IO has an ADAT input. Software can send CV in and outs via an audio to voltage converters for so there is no reason why VM can not do the same, using the audio outs on the main control panel routed to an expert sleepers (or equivalent) converter.

I don't think there are any dedicated VM modules for CV in/out via expert sleepers hardware or dedicated ,modules for this, but I am also new here!

Return to “Voltage Modular”