Transport Controls on Stand Alone (and Hello!)

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Jengamon

Re: Transport Controls on Stand Alone (and Hello!)

Post by Jengamon »

I think having the I/O module as is is kinda confusing. You could either:

a) have a standalone version of the I/O module that remove the Transport section, making it crystal cleat that the patch does not support transporting at all.

b) If in standalone, create an "invisible host" with play and stop buttons on the top row (and only those buttons) which simply simulates a barebones version of a host DAW.
SLiC

Post by SLiC »

Jengamon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm I think having the I/O module as is is kinda confusing. You could either:

a) have a standalone version of the I/O module that remove the Transport section, making it crystal cleat that the patch does not support transporting at all.

b) If in standalone, create an "invisible host" with play and stop buttons on the top row (and only those buttons) which simply simulates a barebones version of a host DAW.
Exactly!
Ade

Post by Ade »

Hi All,
First thing, hat's off to Cherry Audio for developing their modular platform. I think it's a wonderful hybrid of two worlds.
I too found myself missing the transport controls in standalone mode. While it is certainly not the convention to have a master transport, once devices like Roland's groundbreaking MC8 and MC4 Microcomposers came along, the idea of a central location for transport became obvious.
The decision to normalize any route comes only through knowing that there are some things that users typically want, and in situations where it's not the desired setup, you patch, right?
Every sequencer module which has an EXT input seems to acknowledge this.
In addition, because, strictly speaking, there is no equivalent to 'hosted' mode in the real world, having transport jacks displayed in VMs standalone mode does flag to a new user that something is available. But it ain't. :)
A patchable solution in that empty space to the right of AUX OUTS looks ripe for a transport panel. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing such a thing normaled but, for the traditionalists, making it patchable might be preferable. Just having it there, so that the same options available to a hosted system are also available to standalone, would clarify the operation of a basic function. It would help retain screen real estate in the cabinet area and make use of dead space in the top panel.
2c from someone who breathed a sigh of relief when the Roland MC4 appeared in my early 80's rig.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Pretty simple, really. First, patch the Sync out to a Sync Divider to get your clock signal, which you then patch into the Ext Clock of your sequencer(s). Then patch button controls to the Start and Stop inputs of the sequencer(s). You should also patch the Reset to keep things aligned. The Tempo is set at the top.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.16.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.16.55 PM.jpg (317.77 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”