Mod Delay - new multipurpose effect module with demo video & downloadable presets

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Captain

Mod Delay - new multipurpose effect module with demo video & downloadable presets

Post by Captain »

Hey Voltage Modular users! I have just released Mod Delay, a compact delay line where the delay time can be modulated with an internal or external LFO. Use it as a building block and add things like feedback, distortion and filters etc, and you can create a variety of effects from classics (chorus, flanger, vibrato, etc) to huge complex feedback drones and even reverbs!

Check out this video to get some ideas how to use Mod Delay, and what you can build with it: https://youtu.be/FdcairXpKeo

And get Mod Delay here & download the presets: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/mod-delay
(Take a moment to read through the description, including the tips in the end!)

Have fun building!

(I'm also working on adding a tempo sync option :))
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Mod Delay - new multipurpose effect module with demo video & downloadable presets

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Great promo video!
martb

Re: Mod Delay - new multipurpose effect module with demo video & downloadable presets

Post by martb »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:27 pm Great promo video!
I have to heartily agree :D
Great module too - I bought it within about a minute of trying the demo.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Glad you are digging it! :) I just added a tempo sync option which makes it easier to use Mod Delay for "traditional" rhythmic delays. Just start VM, let it do its thing, and the module should be updated. Click the little S(ync) button next to the delay time knob to enable tempo sync.
jmatos

Post by jmatos »

Excellent demo video, sold me instantly. I've been trying to wrap my head around the gigantic reverb but don't quite understand why you output audio to both the gain module and directly to the main outputs.
Captain

Post by Captain »

jmatos wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:17 pm Excellent demo video, sold me instantly. I've been trying to wrap my head around the gigantic reverb but don't quite understand why you output audio to both the gain module and directly to the main outputs.
Cheers! 8-) The preset is connected like this:

The sound source (DCO-60) goes to two places:
1. Straight to the main output. This is the "dry" signal that never changes.
2. To the gain module on the left. This sends the dry signal into the effect, and controls the overall level of the wet signal. It works just like an effect send in a mixer.

EDIT: Now I understood that you probably meant the other gain module. The Mod Delay -> main output connection is what makes the effect audible. The Mod Delay -> gain module connection is for the feedback in the feedback loop, and the gain amount controls the length of the reverb/delay tail. Without it you would only head the 1st generation delays from each of the 8 Mod Delays. What goes to the gain module goes back to the filters, and again to the Mod Delays, and to the main outputs, and again to the gain module, etc.

Hope this makes it clearer! I'm sure you could do the connections differently and get the same result, depending on how you want to think about the signal flow, but this is just an example preset to get you going. :)

Return to “Voltage Modular”