Not all synths appear in VM

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
UrbanCyborg

Not all synths appear in VM

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I've got all the stand-alone synths you make, but I notice that only two of them appear in my module list in VM, the DC0-60 and the Polymode. Is this a problem with my VST3 locations, or is it that the other synths don't have input jacks? It would be nice to run the other synths through some of the VM modules.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
huggermugger

Re: Not all synths appear in VM

Post by huggermugger »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 am I've got all the stand-alone synths you make, but I notice that only two of them appear in my module list in VM, the DC0-60 and the Polymode. Is this a problem with my VST3 locations, or is it that the other synths don't have input jacks? It would be nice to run the other synths through some of the VM modules.
The standalones are just that, standalone synths. They're not VM modules, and they won't appear in your VM browser. However, some of them have module versions, including DCO-60, Polymode, and the ARP2600 emulation. These WILL appear in your browser, if you bought them.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

...and you could always use the plugin host modules to use non-module plugins in Voltage Modular if so desired.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 am I've got all the stand-alone synths you make, but I notice that only two of them appear in my module list in VM, the DC0-60 and the Polymode. Is this a problem with my VST3 locations, or is it that the other synths don't have input jacks? It would be nice to run the other synths through some of the VM modules.
I suspect the confusion is because some of the VM modules are related to elements found in some of the instruments. They may share a visual design and have similar features but as discussed in another thread, the instruments and the somewhat related modules are different things. Sometime CA gives us a break on one if we own the other. For example, as a purchaser of the Eight Voice instrument, I had a discounted price for the VM SEM modules listed in the store when I was logged in. Also, if we buy the Mercury-4 instrument, we get a discount on the VM Tape Echo FX module.

So the DCO-60 is a VM module and the DCO-106 is a non-VM instrument. Similarly, there is a Polymode module in VM and a different Polymode instrument.
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:28 pm ...and you could always use the plugin host modules to use non-module plugins in Voltage Modular if so desired.
I have done this--not only with CA Instruments, but with plug-ins from other companies. I like this technique a lot, especially when instrument makers expose tons of parameters via VST3s especially. I'd recommend it.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Right, I know how to use the host module. I think my confusion stems from another question I asked in a different section of the forum regarding the MemoryMode synth not being found by Cakewalk. There, CA responded that the synths did indeed have plug-in versions that were included with the stand-alone purchase. What am I missing? Incidentally, I did get Cakewalk to recognize it, finally, but as a stand-alone software synth.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

When we talk about plugins, we mean VST, VST3, AU or AAX files that can load into a program like Cakewalk or Pro Tools or other host software.

By module, we mean a component that will only run inside Voltage Modular. For example, the Cherry Audio Oscillator is not a separate plugin, it's a module that runs only in Voltage Modular.

By standalone, we mean that you can run it by itself, without having to use host software like Cakewalk.

DCO-106 and Polymode have standalone, plugin, and module versions.

The other synths don't have a module version. Does that make sense?

Greg
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Thanks, Greg. That pretty well covers it. As Daffy might say in similar circumstances, "Aha! Nomenclature trouble!" I sort of suspected that would turn out to be the answer. That said...why not VST3 versions of the rest?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

There are VST3 versions of all of them.

Greg
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

My mistake. Nomenklatura again. I meant plug-ins for VM. I guess all it would get you, though, is not having to use the plug-in host.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

My mistake again, and the same one. I'm really not on the ball tonight. I really meant modules.

Return to “Voltage Modular”