Filter noise

farjedi

Filter noise

Post by farjedi »

Hi,

Love the sound of this synth and modules, so in no way is this expressed with dissatisfaction for your product!

When using for it's intended purpose as a synth I can get the noise floor inherent in the filters down to around -100db in my mix which is good as far as I'm concerned, I'm not making pristine music.

But I also like to use modules to process audio equally and I struggle to figure out how to reduce the noise floor and get a decent signal through it.

At default this is about -70db.

So does anyone have any tips for me, for some reason everything I have tried has not worked.

Is there anyway that the noise floor can be lowered, adjusted to taste, or disengaged altogether?
Steve W

Re: Filter noise

Post by Steve W »

farjedi wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:02 am Love the sound of this synth and modules, so in no way is this expressed with dissatisfaction for your product!
I have one of the three CA/MRB-branded collaborative VM bundles. I will assume you are talking about the most recent one, which I don't yet have. But it is on my short list to get one of these days.
farjedi wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:02 am I can get the noise floor inherent in the filters down to around -100db . . . But I also like to use modules to process audio equally and I struggle to figure out how to reduce the noise floor and get a decent signal through it. At default this is about -70db.
Are you finding that certain modules introduce more noise than others? Or do all modules introduce a little bit of noise (the more the noisier)?
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

If you are referring to the VM904 module, yes there is a tiny bit of noise placed there on purpose. The noise level is along the lines of what would be found in the hardware module. It is not there for its own sake however. Without this few millivolts of noise, turning the RESONANCE control up all the way would not produce self-oscillation. Feature / necessary annoyance? It might be both, but it's definitely faithful to the original and that is always our intention. If you want a squeaky clean filter for doing processing, the ultra-versatile VCF in the MRB Laboratory Bundle will definitely fulfill your needs.

--mb
farjedi

Post by farjedi »

Steve W wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:24 pm
Are you finding that certain modules introduce more noise than others? Or do all modules introduce a little bit of noise (the more the noisier)?
Just the filters, but it's only really somewhat unmanageable when processing audio through them, the output of the oscillators is loud enough to be able to take the output down so it's at a pretty normal level of hiss for analog gear.
farjedi

Post by farjedi »

MRBarton wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 am If you are referring to the VM904 module, yes there is a tiny bit of noise placed there on purpose. The noise level is along the lines of what would be found in the hardware module. It is not there for its own sake however. Without this few millivolts of noise, turning the RESONANCE control up all the way would not produce self-oscillation. Feature / necessary annoyance? It might be both, but it's definitely faithful to the original and that is always our intention. If you want a squeaky clean filter for doing processing, the ultra-versatile VCF in the MRB Laboratory Bundle will definitely fulfill your needs.

--mb
Thanks for the reply, interesting, I'm guessing the modelling is approached from a schematic/ component method of recreation?

I'll check that filter out, I have Syrup as well which is also really cool.

Return to “Cherry Audio/MRB”