Artefacts sounding like a Bit Crusher

Stardust 201 is a hot-rodded interpretation of the classic Roland "Space Echo" tape echo effects of the 70s and 80s.
Steve W

Re: Artefacts sounding like a Bit Crusher

Post by Steve W »

Here's an audio example of what I'm talking about.
Attachments
Voltage Modular Recording 21045--001.mp3
(606.38 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

nkf wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:35 am I hope you take me serious - I'm not a dork, nor do I play games here. Cherry audio is a great company and I would like this product being what it promised. The base sound is very good!
So, I don't confuse the regular feedback sound (which I know very well) with the artefacts I mentioned. Your question seems to imply that.
It doesn't matter if you choose a new preset, recall one or whatever. When the problematic parameters are chosen the problems begin.
Use Nuendo 11 (Mac or PC), the VST3 of StarDust 201 is loaded and dial in the settings in my screenshot. Play some notes of VSTi or alike, make it clear, simple sounds. Let the feedback roll - now quickly< turn Repeat Rate to the left to the longest rate, bam! nice bit crusher sounds.
It is 100% repeatable in N11. In WaveLab I was NOT able to reproduce it. You have to use Nuendo 11 - newest release 11.0.40.
Don't use other hosts to replicate this problem.
Hi,

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if I talk to the people who write the code about an issue, I need specifics, because the software developers need specifics in order to figure out what's going on. There are a lot of zeros and ones and math involved.

Thank you for providing more details the issue!

Does increasing the buffer or latency settings in Nuendo have any effect on the issue?

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

Steve W wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm
nkf wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 pm It is all about . . . speed up and down the delay times. . . . .
I have noticed with a number of pieces of software (not just VM) that changing delay times in real time while a sound is playing (especially with a long feedback time) that the pitch slide (what sounds like shifting the sample rate) can be heard repeatedly. Is this what you are talking about?

It is not a "slide" - the sound itself sounds like through a bit crusher plug in, sample rate reduction to the extreme with all the aliasing 'goodies'.
nkf

Post by nkf »

Steve W wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm Here's an audio example of what I'm talking about.
That sounds like wish it would sound in Nuendo 11. I will later upload an example!
nkf

Post by nkf »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:00 pm
Does increasing the buffer or latency settings in Nuendo have any effect on the issue?

Greg
It seems not to be the case. Of course sound artefacts vary strongly with the amount of knob movements.
nkf

Post by nkf »

Here are two examples, both from Nuendo 11 on Mac - it should be totally obvious what I'm talking about.
Attachments
StarDust201_Aliasing.mp3
(198.81 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
nkf

Post by nkf »

second example
Attachments
StarDust201_Aliasing2.mp3
(569.92 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

I wonder what's different about Nuendo? Why does it happen in one DAW and not another?

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:00 pm Hi,

I wonder what's different about Nuendo? Why does it happen in one DAW and not another?

Greg
It sounds like you won't believe me. I assume in Cubase 11 happens the same (same audio engine).
People are reporting similar things in your FaceBook forum.
I wonder why it is so hard to accept a well-intentioned bug report?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just trying to nail down some specific parameters for the problem. As I mentioned in my previous post, we need some specifics. Can you make us a preset that illustrates the problem and post it here or send it in as a support ticket? This would give me something specific for the software developers to look at.

Greg

Return to “Stardust 201 Tape Echo”