Noise Reduction for tape hiss.

Stardust 201 is a hot-rodded interpretation of the classic Roland "Space Echo" tape echo effects of the 70s and 80s.
tarkus1971

Noise Reduction for tape hiss.

Post by tarkus1971 »

Please can you add a noise reduction button somewhere, some presets have a loud "hiss", I know this is to emulate the old tape sound, but it would be great to have a button or switch to eliminate this hiss on the Stardust 201. It does seem overly loud on quiet passages of music.
Kewk

Re: Noise Reduction for tape hiss.

Post by Kewk »

Usually the clones have a way to disable it. Wishing we had one here too lol.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

I don't even own it (yet) but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't turn that noise down. This is one area where being true to the original isn't always desirable.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

What's an example of a preset that's bugging you?

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

We cannot wait until the noise can cause problems. Noise can easily add up and raise in gain significantly if compressors are used after the effect and and/or several instantiations.
Sorry, but a noise on/off switch is absolutely crucial!
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

If not a simple "noise off|on", another option that seems more in line with Cherry's modus operandi might be to implement a few types of analog tape noise reductions, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_noi ... ion_system
nkf

Post by nkf »

tgrey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm If not a simple "noise off|on", another option that seems more in line with Cherry's modus operandi might be to implement a few types of analog tape noise reductions, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_noi ... ion_system
I still would prefer a noise off option - it should be also easy to implement.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

What's an example of a preset that you'd want that option for?

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:57 pm Hi,

What's an example of a preset that you'd want that option for?

Greg
Frankly said it should be a general option. As soon as I use StarDust 201 my great maintained extreme low noise level is ruined. Just have a look at this screenshot from a Flux Analyser window - that's ridiculous. My noise floor is around somewhat at -137 dB below fs, including dithering from the digital desk (unity gain). One instance of SD201 with output volume to max reduces it to around 10bit dynamic range. WTF! Add compression, mastering etc. and you get problems for delicate applications.
I had the same discussion with Waves for certain plug ins. My works often consists a wide dynamic range and I have to stay away from using SD201 for these tasks or add gates, which is a nuisance. This shouldn't be just a plug in for certain rock genres. I fought the noise of the original RE-201s and now I get this back in such a nice emulation? Arrrggghh ...
The noise sounds good though - but please give it the total off option.
Attachments
Stardust_Noise.PNG
Stardust_Noise.PNG (74.92 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along!

Greg

Return to “Stardust 201 Tape Echo”