Feature Request: Microtuning support

Mercury-4 is a detailed emulation of one of the best-sounding and quirkiest polyphonic synthesizers of the late 1970's, the Roland Jupiter-4.
monsoon

Feature Request: Microtuning support

Post by monsoon »

I'd buy Mercury 4 in a heartbeat if it was tunable. Any plans to support Scala files (perhaps using the Surge library) or MTS? Or is this already there but I missed it?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Microtuning support

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

There is the master tuning option.

Hold down the ctrl key while turning the knob for finer control.

Relevant help doc entry:
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... aster-tune
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

I think Monsoon is asking about microtuning. Scala files are used for non-standard (non-equal temperament) scales. It'd be a nice feature in your synths, especially in Voltage Modular.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I suspect the only way you'll be able to achieve microtonality is monophonically by using hand crafted pitch bend with the Bender Sensitivity turned right down.
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

I suspect the only way you'll be able to achieve microtonality is monophonically by using hand crafted pitch bend with the Bender Sensitivity turned right down.
Yeah that's what I thought -- just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. Be nice if this was fixed in a future update; poly synths can sound amazing in tunings other than 12-EDO. Assuming the Mercury 4 code is C++ the MTS solution is very easy to implement.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Thanks for the suggestion!
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

No worries -- the synth sounds great!

While I'm here and feeling cheeky, the same request goes for the Memorymode... I've been on the hunt for a really good Moog emulation for a long time but none of them (AFAIK) supports microtuning yet.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

It's not a "moog emulation", but AAS's UltraAnalog is a great sounding analog emulation and it reads Scala files.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/ultra-analog-va-3/
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

I actually have Ultra Analog and REALLY like it. It doesn't quite scratch my itch for that Moog sound -- it has a "ladder" filter type but it doesn't hit the spot for me. Sounds great overall though and I probably have some things to learn about programming it.
Selinita

Post by Selinita »

monsoon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 pm Be nice if this was fixed in a future update; poly synths can sound amazing in tunings other than 12-EDO. Assuming the Mercury 4 code is C++ the MTS solution is very easy to implement.
Why hasn't this been implemented yet? We don't all live in boring 12-TET...

Return to “Mercury-4 Synthesizer”