First feedback and improvement

Mercury-4 is a detailed emulation of one of the best-sounding and quirkiest polyphonic synthesizers of the late 1970's, the Roland Jupiter-4.
velryphon

First feedback and improvement

Post by velryphon »

Awesome plugin !
The shape of each wave is much better than those from DCO-106, square looks like square and saw looks like saw, and of course it can clearly be heard, I definitively prefere the raw sound of Mercury's VCO.

The empty space at the top of the plugin is weird, it takes too much space for nothing. I now the original hardware had this top panel, but on my screen it definitively takes too much space to my taste.

I can't find the manual, where is it ? I'd like to understand the differences between Tape Echo modes.
kozzy303

Re: First feedback and improvement

Post by kozzy303 »

The is a link to the user guide when you select Mercury-4 from the Products menu
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... ng-started
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

You can also bring up the help documentation by clicking the question mark in Mercury-4's tool bar.

Thank you for your feedback!

Greg
ortho

Post by ortho »

I agree that the top black panel should be minimized some.

My other feedback is the smaller sized switches and knobs are just a bit too small to be easy-to-read even with the plug in stretched almost my whole screen wide.

Otherwise, wow this thing is great! I had a J4 on loan about 15 years ago and this takes me back there. The arpeg+fastLFO+VCF S&H things you can do really set it apart from anything else i ever played. The things you added like the space echo and VCA mod really add another level.

One thing I just thought of. If i remember correctly the J4 I played had a faulty voice card and so would have a rest when you played the arpeg and it triggered that voice and it would create interesting patterns although i wished the voice card had worked instead. If there was 4 boxes to turn off voices individually (that would multiply to 8 or 16 voices if you have more selected) that would be cool. That would add even more funkiness to the already funky arpeggiator.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I would go with the push buttons being bigger. Also I find the sliders caps are quite difficult to tell apart from the slider markings.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

I have to agree with the above in that the area with the name is way too big.
Some of the small buttons and writing does not bother me as I use a faderport to control ALL my plugins. This only requires initial setup and that is where the Focus button helps.
On this point, any of my other plugins/instruments that have a three-way option (like Spring/Plate/Hall in this case) I can control with a fader (i guess this is because the values are 0-64-127) but these switches do not work that way?? I can use select buttons on off but what is the reasoning in not having the buttons use 0-64-127 values as they cannot be used together.

Maybe, as a suggestion, The instrument ships as-is but in settings there is an option to "fold-up" the name/black box area. A bit like some software displaying the splash screen option. If folded up the instrument name appears in the top bar to the right hand side?

The tape echo is a nice touch. I have used the UAD Galaxy for a long time and the Boss Space Echo on guitar, so feel right at home here. It is great to just play a note then let it self oscillate.
leesim

Post by leesim »

Since purchasing last week I have not been able to use it on my Windows 10 system with an admin account.

I have gone back and forth over 20 times in emails and tried everything suggested to no avail.

This is the only software that does not work on my machine.

The program inc. the installer has been allowed through the firewall

The admin account is the owner of the system

Mercury-4 is being used as admin and also in Live where Mercury-4 runs into the login issue again

I think you should remove this login business and just supply a serial number so that the software can be used.

The machine is a HP Elite x2 running the latest version of Windows 10

Every plugin inc. Arturia, Native etc. work fine but Cherry Audio devices do not because of said login issue.

I have seen other users online with the same problems so I am putting this on Cherry Audio to resolve to improve the software.

This is a screenshot of the problem: https://i.ibb.co/pxPm9HM/Well.png
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

But it works perfectly fine with a different account on the same computer, correct? The fact that it's an admin account is not an issue. Most everybody who is reading this and can log into Mercury-4 successfully is using an admin account, including me. Most people are not having this issue, so what's different about the Windows account that's not working? I tried creating a guest account on my computer, and that logged in with no issues. Most commonly, this would be a firewall issue, but you say you both gave permission for Mercury-4 to pass through the firewall and also tried disabling the firewall, correct? And you're sure there's no other security software blocking Mercury-4's access to the internet.

I'll reply to your support email.

Greg
leesim wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 am Since purchasing last week I have not been able to use it on my Windows 10 system with an admin account.

I have gone back and forth over 20 times in emails and tried everything suggested to no avail.

This is the only software that does not work on my machine.

The program inc. the installer has been allowed through the firewall

The admin account is the owner of the system

Mercury-4 is being used as admin and also in Live where Mercury-4 runs into the login issue again

I think you should remove this login business and just supply a serial number so that the software can be used.

The machine is a HP Elite x2 running the latest version of Windows 10

Every plugin inc. Arturia, Native etc. work fine but Cherry Audio devices do not because of said login issue.

I have seen other users online with the same problems so I am putting this on Cherry Audio to resolve to improve the software.

This is a screenshot of the problem: https://i.ibb.co/pxPm9HM/Well.png
GeeMan44

Post by GeeMan44 »

Firstly i love all that Cherry Audio do but Mercury 4 for me is falling a bit flat so far. Maybe i was expecting more or I'm just missing something??

So here are my thoughts and feedback.

1.Why is there a VCA Level and Master Volume?
2.The VCA goes into overload far too easily.
3.You can only turn off the ARP by pressing one of the assign buttons. I'm sure this one has been mentioned elsewhere.
4.Default Top Note of 96 can't be selected once you've entered another value.
5.Tape echo repeat rate goes the opposite way when in sync mode and why the gimmicky VU meter?
6.Is there a need for TAPE echo input?? Aren't you always going to balance by Echo volume Dry/Wet level.
7.Unison 16 puts the vca level so into overload even when it's level is at the bottom. Would really love an auto level balancing when using unison.
8.Unfortunatley the reverb is just not very good in my opinion :( . Turn it off and try it with even the most basic verb plugin and it comes so much more to life.
9.The ensemble really does add that old Roland string synth vibe to it.
10.The useful range of portamento is right at the bottom so its hard to fine tune it. Could the bias be set more evenly?

So this feels like a bit of a bashing now i read it back so apologies in advance. :oops:
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi, thanks for your message. The Jupiter-4 is a very different synth from other vintage synthesizers, and there are definitely some unusual aspects about its design. Here are some answers to your questions:

<< 1.Why is there a VCA Level and Master Volume?
2.The VCA goes into overload far too easily. >>

One of the unique characteristics of the Jupiter-4 is that is overloads very easily. With the VCA Level slider all the way up, the Jupiter-4 is pure rock-and-roll, with a deeply overdriven sound that is unheard of on other polysynths of the era. It's so overdriven that the VCA Level slider has a large range of +20 to -20 dB, and even at it's lowest setting, it's still possible to overdrive the VCA with certain sounds.

Master Volumes on hardware synthesizers are attenuators, making the output quieter. They typically never cause overdrive, they just make the output quieter. This is why the hardware (and the software) has both a VCA Level slider and a Master Volume knob. You can reduce the overdrive by turning down the VCA Level, and then compensate by turning up the Master Volume. Or you can crank the VCA Level for deeply overdriven sounds, and turn down the Master Volume to compensate for the added gain.

<< 3.You can only turn off the ARP by pressing one of the assign buttons. I'm sure this one has been mentioned elsewhere. ​>>

This is exactly how the Jupiter-4 works, as is explained in the manual.

<< 4.Default Top Note of 96 can't be selected once you've entered another value. >>

Sure it can, just over the Octave Transpose buttons on your MIDI controller to play the high C key. The Top Note value can be set to any MIDI note value.

<< 6.Is there a need for TAPE echo input?? Aren't you always going to balance by Echo volume Dry/Wet level. >>

Part of the sound of a vintage Space Echo is that you can overdrive the inputs to make it more raunchy. With big unison patches, for example, you can overdrive the delay if you want to. The input knob gives you control between a cleaner delay and a dirtier delay sound.

<< 10.The useful range of portamento is right at the bottom so its hard to fine tune it. Could the bias be set more evenly? >>

The range and scale of our controls are carefully matched to the original hardware. We do make small changes to the original designs at times if they make the instruments more useful or more flexible in a modern setting, but in general, we build very faithful reproductions of these vintage beasts, for better or worse!

Thanks for your feedback.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Return to “Mercury-4 Synthesizer”