Joined this forum just so I could say...

Memorymode is based upon one of the very best-sounding polyphonic programmable analog synthesizers of the 80s, the legendary Memorymoog synthesizer.
Solovox

Joined this forum just so I could say...

Post by Solovox »

Holy Fuck Balls.

I owned a MemoryMoog for about a decade, and playing Memorymode is probably the most eerie and satisfying experience I've ever had with a VST. This may be the most accurate replication of a hardware synth ever created. And it's not just "oh if I set the knobs up just like this it sounds kind of like my MM did." It's everything. Exploring all of the modulation routings I keep coming up with wild sounds that are exactly like the hardware--and I just simply forgot that sound. Thank you for adding Velocity to the filter, btw.

I knew this was a knockout the first time I went into full 16 voice Unison mode, but it's the tiny details that really have me almost spooked. Whatever witchcraft you guys are practicing, you are doing something right, and I suggest more blood sacrifices or goat ceremonies or whatever it takes, because you guys deserve a goddamn Nobel Peace Prize for this. Thank you.

I used to haul my MemoryMoog to the stage. Can't wait to play this live (although I won't have wifi connection usually so I hope it works without)
cherryMitch

Re: Joined this forum just so I could say...

Post by cherryMitch »

Thanks so much for the amazing testimonial and for noticing the fruits of our creepy rituals (in which I hold my fluffy cat over the instrument and await his approval). We definitely put a great deal of effort into the LFO and Voice Modulation sections - there was a LOT of tweaking to get that right. And it's nice when people notice this stuff (especially in the troll-infested waters of ye internet).

Re using it live, you only need to be online the first time you launch or for updates, but otherwise, our instruments do not need to be online to run.
Solovox

Post by Solovox »

Just in case you wanted to read my full review i posted on FB, here it is. If you have noticed a sudden increase in purchases from the Pacific NW in the last 24 hours, you're welcome. ;)

Warning: Extremely nerdy synthesizer discussion below. Avoid if you know how to talk to girls or don't know what a VST plugin is.

If you saw me play between 2004 and 2011 there was a decent chance I hauled my 70lb MemoryMoog onstage. For the uninitiated, the MM is one of the greatest polysynths ever; essentially six minimoogs in one keyboard, with patch memory. The truth is it sounded different than a Mini, and could either make glassy FM-modulated sounds, super phat basses, or (in my case) a 6-voice stacked unison lead mode that would peel the scalp off your head if played loud enough. If there was ever a 'bully' on the synth playground...maybe not getting the best grades in school and sometimes smelling a little funky...it would be the MemoryMoog. And for the past 20+ years no plugin manufacturer of any reputation would touch it with a ten-foot-pole. (There was one lame attempt or two by tiny developers and they missed badly). The sound was too raw. The filters and the LFOs were just too distinctive. It sounds like no other synth.

Not even Arturia, with their now industry-standard vintage emulations even -talked- about the MemoryMoog. It tells you something when they can make a Synclavier accurately but don't even mention the existence of the MM.

So for Cherry Audio, a small plugin company that until recently was only known for making a VST plugin modular system and an Oberheim 8-voice (which is good, but not like this!), to suddenly not only come out with a MemoryMoog plugin, but hit it so far out of the park that it's probably the best analog-sounding VST ever made...that deserves a goddamn post. This may deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

The fact that it's $39 is so stupid that I thought it was a misprint. As someone with a decade of experience with the real deal, this plugin is just plain terrifyingly accurate. I suspect devil worship or perhaps goat sacrifice may have been involved. But I challenge you to download this demo, play around for an hour, and tell me it is not the most analog and live sounding plugin you've ever heard. The Legend (minimoog plugin) comes close...as does Diva and a few others.

No, I'm not being paid to say any of this. I'm just stunned that someone not only had the nuts to try it, but nailed it this hard. This is a MemoryMoog, period. This is what it sounds like. But this one does not weigh 70lbs, go out of tune, and have voice cards that if you're lucky cost $800 to replace.

Nerd Out.
Solovox

Post by Solovox »

Oh, and last thing: if you teamed with a hardware manufacturer to create a lightweight midi controller (with quality keybed) that emulated the exact look of a MM and send CC data directly to this plugin, I would buy it immediately and I'm probably not alone.

Return to “Memorymode Synthesizer”