Analog vs. Digital LFOs

Memorymode is based upon one of the very best-sounding polyphonic programmable analog synthesizers of the 80s, the legendary Memorymoog synthesizer.
c0z

Analog vs. Digital LFOs

Post by c0z »

Hi! Thank you, Cherry Audio for the Memorymode. I like it very much. :)

I got a question regarding the LFOs. I tried to create a "gating" sound via the LFO modulating the VCA, using the ramp-down-LFO. Unfortunately, this leads to audible cracks whenever the LFO restarts. It sounds very "digital".

I do not know whether or not this also applies for the original. But I would find it very useful if the LFO didn't go "from 0 to 1" instantly. I hope you get what I mean, I'm not a native english speaker. :)

Best regards!
Markus/c0z
basa333

Re: Analog vs. Digital LFOs

Post by basa333 »

hi Markus,

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/jks-cv-canvas? you can make your own LFO ramp...
c0z

Post by c0z »

Hi basa333,

that looks interesting, but how could I use that together with the Memorymode?

Best regards
Markus/c0z
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

You need a lag control (aka 'slew' or 'glide') to slow down the instant jump from 0-1. Memorymood isn't modular and has no way of doing that on its own. You could reduce the Cutoff to soften the 'clicking', but that changes the sound, and probably isn't satisfactory. Another option is to host Memorymode in VM, and then patch a VM LFO into the Master Level. Then you can patch a Glide (lag) control between the LFO and VCA. I've tried this and it produces a different sound than doing it on the Memorymode alone. Many factors causing this, such as the response of the LFO, the fact that you can't actually directly modulate the VCA this way, only the Master Level, and so on.

Since Cherry was pretty careful about modelling the original Memorymoog, it's quite likely that the behaviour you're disliking is true to the original. Analog is capable of very fast voltage jumps. My 1978 vintage SH5 clicks with fast attacks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 4.52.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 4.52.58 PM.jpg (458.95 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
basa333

Post by basa333 »

c0z wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:19 pm Hi basa333,

that looks interesting, but how could I use that together with the Memorymode?

Best regards
Markus/c0z
hi,

sorry, I thought, it's a generally question, not for MM

Return to “Memorymode Synthesizer”