Solved: Audio Crackling

Memorymode is based upon one of the very best-sounding polyphonic programmable analog synthesizers of the 80s, the legendary Memorymoog synthesizer.
Ian_F

Solved: Audio Crackling

Post by Ian_F »

Hi Guys,

First up: Totally loving this new synth. You've really created something special here and for those of us that couldn't afford the original, helped to fulfill, at least a little, that childhood dream of owning and playing one.

Regards the title and the audio crackling and I've not done too much investigating of the synth itself yet but, this is a problem for me that seems to be linked to a few specific sounds. It could also be due to running this on a Macbook Pro with only 8Gb RAM.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.48.15.png
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.48.15.png (48.47 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
What makes me think that it isn't, or may not be, is that even when whilst typing this message out, iStat seems to be indicating that neither the Memorymode itself or the system are overloaded.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.45.27.png
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.45.27.png (137.21 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
In terms of reproduction: One of the sounds which gives me this problem is 'Almost Digital'. If I overload it with notes i:e hold down a chord and play a rapid accompaniment or, do two large chords so that we're getting into the 8-10+ notes playing then I can reproduce the crackling pretty quickly.

Whilst overloading the notes seems something of a "Well, what the.... did you expect to happen?!" way of creating audio crackle, what I'm finding strange is that if it was a system limitation, how come I'm able to cure the problem by switching off the 'Release' button on the VCF panel?

I understand that control disables the envelope release stage which may be having an effect, but it still seems weird. Any thoughts?

Thx
Last edited by Ian_F on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarkus1971

Re: Audio Crackling

Post by tarkus1971 »

That sounds like a latency problem, you need to increase the buffer size if your using big chords. I use a powerful laptop running windows 10 and as yet have not experienced any problems running at very, very low buffer levels.
Ian_F

Post by Ian_F »

Thanks for the reply and yes, it's certainly a possibility, although my current settings below don't cause any problems with other vst's.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 16.19.22.png
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 16.19.22.png (49.58 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
That said, I notice from looking at that, that I'm using Boom for the audio rather than the built-in output and that could also be a problem so I'll try running on built-in output for a while and see if that makes a difference. If not, up the latency.

Thx
Ian_F

Post by Ian_F »

Update: As it stands, switching from the Boom Audio output to built-in output appears to have cured the problem.

I'll leave this up as a reference in case anyone has the same/a similar problem and comes looking for a solution, but change the OP to Solved.

Again, for reference, the app that appears to be causing the problem is Boom 3d from https://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

Thx again for the assist.
tarkus1971

Re: Solved: Audio Crackling

Post by tarkus1971 »

I have boom too, but never, never use it for running vsts or standalone, mainly use it only with foobar. Glad you sorted it.

Return to “Memorymode Synthesizer”