Gate Nouveau 64 is out!

collidermod

Gate Nouveau 64 is out!

Post by collidermod »

My latest module, Gate Nouveau 64 is now available!

Store: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/g ... -sequencer

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Q1JcIF5raC

Key Features
  • 64 steps
  • 16 tracks
  • 16 chainable patterns
  • 8 unique randomization algorithms
  • beat quantized pattern changes
  • tied, micro (divided), and accented steps
  • variable gate width per step
  • division, length, and random algorithm per track
  • subtle step evolutions
  • internal and external clock support
  • MIDI standard drum map
tgrey

Re: Gate Nouveau 64 is out!

Post by tgrey »

This is absolutely incredible. It's everything I've wanted in a gate sequencer, and so much more... I can't wait to take it for a test spin.

I feel like I'll be watching the videos a few times before I've really internalized all of this.
Rockky

Post by Rockky »

I really like this, played with it and bought it, but have a couple of feature requests if you don't mind that would make me this even better IMO:-

1. Let us save and load named patterns and/or songs that contain chains of patterns - I know there's a way to do this to an extent via saving the GN64 with my pattern in a cabinet, but it would be really nice to just be able to bring in a prerolled GN64 pattern.
2. Obvious thing to ask for - MIDI Note or CV values per step that can be output - you already have a mechanism in place that allocates tracks as playing particular notes so extend that with a button like Micro that lets you pick notes from a grid or dial in a CV value per step - this adds so much more to the sequencer if it can now be used to, say automate the resonance of a filter, or the MIDI output can now also be passed to a 2600 to play a bassline etc.
You could maybe add config to define if it's a drum, cv or midi note track and then also to define what midi track you want to output to if it's midi.
If you did that then you could maybe have the accent output double as a cv output for tracks that aren't drum tracks and then have the accent facility do something else e.g. maybe a 'note slide' like on the CA Octagon sequencer.

Also, you just did a 3 a part video tutorial where you don't demo any audio, showing it all on an oscilloscope, I get it, but to stop it becoming a dry academic exercise you really need to stick some sound in there.
collidermod

Post by collidermod »

@tgrey Thanks!

@Rockky My philosophy with GN64 was to make a central hub of rhythm, and leave it open (modular!) for there to be other means of either generating rhythms, or using those rhythms. I have some upcoming plans about how I can extend it to allow alternate ways of inputting steps (recalling from a previously saved pattern would be an example of that). I wanted to gauge user's reaction to GN64 though before I make a decision about where to invest more time.

Regarding being able to output a pitch or note, this is probably the #1 requested feature at this point, so I definitely recognize there is interest in this. I felt like if I jammed pitch selection into GN64, it wouldn't have been a great experience. It certainly is possible, but it's not something I would have enjoyed using, and I don't put out modules that I feel aren't a great experience. This is where the modular aspect comes in, and opens the door to using various other means of generating pitch.

For example, right now you can use the Cherry Audio 8 Step with GN64 as just a pitch source. Patch "active" on GN64 to "START" on 8 Step; then the "step" out jack to "EXT CLK" on 8 step. Be sure to enable "EXT". 8 step will only advance the pitch each time it receives a gate. In this way, GN64 still controls the rhythm, but 8 step allows you to set pitch. I'm pretty sure there are other modules that allow this as well.

There are (intentionally) enough outputs on GN64, between the step/accent, MIDI, pulse, and pattern CV, that it would be possible to have a second 16 track pitch-dedicated companion to GN64, with an interface optimized for pitch entry, that is synchronized to GN64's clock and follows the same patterns, effectively allowing you to use the pair as if they were one, large module (perhaps another developer will beat me to it :)).

Regarding the videos, I've been re-recording the original three. My plan was originally to record four 30 minute technical videos, then upload "tip" or "example" videos. Based on the initial reaction, I'm changing that instead to upload several 5-10 minute videos, where I include demos at the same time that I demonstrate the feature. The initial 8 or so will be dry, as covering things like gate width is inherently technical. However, once I've covered all the basics, I plan to start doing more demos. In fact, the video launching tomorrow (July 7), for example, shows how to use "Accent Routing" with Vult Knock to create your own accent modulation, even if the module doesn't have an accent input.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Rockky wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:41 pm 1. Let us save and load named patterns and/or songs that contain chains of patterns - I know there's a way to do this to an extent via saving the GN64 with my pattern in a cabinet, but it would be really nice to just be able to bring in a prerolled GN64 pattern.
Aside from cabinets, you can also use the module's "preset manager" by right clicking near the top. I tested and confirmed you can save the patterns as a preset, and when you load a fresh gn64 you can load the preset and the pattern will be intact.
gn64_Patterns.jpg
gn64_Patterns.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
Hope that helps!
Rockky

Post by Rockky »

Ah that's good to know, didn't even realise modules have presets. That could speed up a few processes. Thanks for the info.
collidermod

Post by collidermod »

Correct, presets should save and recall everything, all 16 tracks for all patterns, along with all track and module settings. This is basically the same as what the module does when it reloads an entire preset from the library, except that you can control it on a per-module basis.

There are two limitations to the module presets. First, it recalls everything, so if you only wanted to load a single pattern or set of steps for a single track, that's not possible. Second, presets won't save any self-patched cables, which is relevant when you are triggering evolves or randoms using tracks within GN64. If those two limitations work for you, then there you go!

Talking about this more now gives me a couple more ideas that I'll take a look at for possibly making this easier.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Is it possible to randomize a track that isn't set to full length without resetting it's length at the same time? I think I've looked everywhere and could not find a setting that would prevent the reset, even when all of the unused steps were masked off. Basically, I'd like to use randomize on a 16 step pattern instead of all 64 (tho I could have totally missed how to do this).

But this led me to an idea for two new track/global settings:
Length on Randomize
Length on Evolve

Both settings could have the available options of: Reset, Keep, and either Randomize or Evolve for each respectively.

If the default behaviors were "Reset" for randomize, and "Keep" for evolve, it would behave it exactly as GN64 does now. But changing those settings would allow you to have randomized shorter patterns like I'm asking about, or even more wildly, create patterns with lengths that might also morph over time along with the steps within them. I think it could lead to some very interesting dynamic generative polyrhythms!
collidermod

Post by collidermod »

@tgrey It's interesting you mention this, because this was a decision that I went back and forth on during GN64, if those step modifiers (evolve, rand) should change the length or not. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the 'chaos' algo will give you a random length. An earlier version of the module would also give a random pattern length as well when using right-click > Randomize Controls (Randomize Controls respects the Rand settings).

That said, I think what you're asking for is a reasonable answer to get both. I'll add it to my short list of improvements. I've mostly been focusing on finish the video series, but planned to make a handful of improvements based on feedback after that.
collidermod

Post by collidermod »

Just wanted to add that today I finished implementing both Length on Rand and Length on Evolve into an upcoming build. It should be out soon.

Return to “Collider Modular”