Euclidean Module

g~tilde

Re: Euclidean Module

Post by g~tilde »

ColinP wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:50 pm
g~tilde wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:04 pm I do hope then he is paying attention. Since this is a commercial module, i hope he does look in . . . I am getting annoyed
I'm not speaking for Nick, but would like to defend him a little here. Yes, it's a commercial module but I think some people imagine that means big bucks. The reality is sadly that many developers make maybe a dollar or two per hour for their efforts and decide it's just not worth continuing.
I will not speak for other people, but commercial to me means a product that can be sold. Period. This means I paid for that product and in this instance, it was the price listed for that module. How much time a developer puts into a project or money is made from the developer's efforts, is irrelevant. It was not labeled a free module or a module that clearly says, "you are purchasing an as-is module." If the developer decides to say you know what, these efforts are not worth my time, or simply, life has gotten in the way, it should say that in the store for that item - this is an as-is module, and there is no support (or here on the BB). Frankly, I would not have purchased it, unless it also said, you can download the source code here, only then, I would have considered it. Without being notified regarding its status, or otherwise stated as I outlined, how would a user/purchaser know the module will not be supported? I have purchased a plethora of modules in the CA store over the last few months. All of the purchases, whether a bundle or single modules are, in fact, commercial. I did not see a "donate button." I can say I am annoyed because it is, annoying, to purchase a module in the CA store, and it becomes a struggle to find out how to contact the developer for questions. We have here, a dedicated location on the BBs to discuss challenges or announcements, and it's been ....a few days.... with no acknowledgement of an obvious bug. I thought after my original post, you know what, not knowing what was the correct channels are to contact the developer in this context, it might be good idea to send a PM to the developer. I defy you to search on the developer's name to identify his username, so you can then send a PM to discuss the issue. I sent a PM to CA to help discover how to search for this information . . . long and short of it, some valuable lessons have been learned.
nickh

Post by nickh »

g~tilde wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 pm
ColinP wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:50 pm
g~tilde wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:04 pm I do hope then he is paying attention. Since this is a commercial module, i hope he does look in . . . I am getting annoyed
I'm not speaking for Nick, but would like to defend him a little here. Yes, it's a commercial module but I think some people imagine that means big bucks. The reality is sadly that many developers make maybe a dollar or two per hour for their efforts and decide it's just not worth continuing.
I will not speak for other people, but commercial to me means a product that can be sold. Period. This means I paid for that product and in this instance, it was the price listed for that module. How much time a developer puts into a project or money is made from the developer's efforts, is irrelevant. It was not labeled a free module or a module that clearly says, "you are purchasing an as-is module." If the developer decides to say you know what, these efforts are not worth my time, or simply, life has gotten in the way, it should say that in the store for that item - this is an as-is module, and there is no support (or here on the BB). Frankly, I would not have purchased it, unless it also said, you can download the source code here, only then, I would have considered it. Without being notified regarding its status, or otherwise stated as I outlined, how would a user/purchaser know the module will not be supported? I have purchased a plethora of modules in the CA store over the last few months. All of the purchases, whether a bundle or single modules are, in fact, commercial. I did not see a "donate button." I can say I am annoyed because it is, annoying, to purchase a module in the CA store, and it becomes a struggle to find out how to contact the developer for questions. We have here, a dedicated location on the BBs to discuss challenges or announcements, and it's been ....a few days.... with no acknowledgement of an obvious bug. I thought after my original post, you know what, not knowing what was the correct channels are to contact the developer in this context, it might be good idea to send a PM to the developer. I defy you to search on the developer's name to identify his username, so you can then send a PM to discuss the issue. I sent a PM to CA to help discover how to search for this information . . . long and short of it, some valuable lessons have been learned.
My apologies, I have not actively developed any Voltage Modular modules, or checked this forum for some time. I had previously included my email on the store page but was inundated with spam. Luckily, another forum user reached out to let me know you were having an issue - If you would like to reach out directly in the future, my developer name '@gmail.com' will do.

I will try to address your issue tonight, sounds like a very simple fix. Please note that it will likely take a couple days for Cherry Audio to approve the update.

I will add that Colin is correct - I earn very little from these modules, though profit was never my goal. There are also constraints as to how many modules a developer can release for free and costs associated with the development software. Nevertheless, I believe my module pricing is very reasonable and trials are available. If money is an issue, or you are still not happy, I can provide a refund.
nickh

Post by nickh »

I have pushed an update to Cherry Audio which should address the save state information as I understand it. Once the update is pushed to module owners, please let me know if there are any additional issues, or if I failed to understand the initial issue.
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

nickh wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm I have pushed an update to Cherry Audio which should address the save state information as I understand it. Once the update is pushed to module owners, please let me know if there are any additional issues, or if I failed to understand the initial issue.
Hey Nick, I wanted to first off, thank you for looking into this problem and fixing it so quickly!! Gold star to to the user who reached out to you and let you know I was having a bit of a challenge - without that person's help, you would not have known. That is tragic. As soon as the update push goes through the CA system, I will download and test. If there is anything else that comes up, or this fix doesn't directly address exactly the concerns, I will use the contact information you had kindly shared. Thank you that - it is a shame you got inundated with spam. Importantly, please know, I wasn't annoyed with you or anyone else in particular- that means you too CollinP. I have run into this comment before, in other places, other O/S environments, other systems, that it causes me to be verbose. I can explain off-line if you are intrigued, but it always is independent developers. As I am discovering, infrastructural at CA are still maturing here I am hopeful with my recent investments that progress will continue. Thanks again, Nick

ps: I really do enjoy creating with the module and appreciate your work
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

nickh wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm I have pushed an update to Cherry Audio which should address the save state information as I understand it. Once the update is pushed to module owners, please let me know if there are any additional issues, or if I failed to understand the initial issue.
Hey Nick, apparently, it takes a good while for an update to be pushed on through the CA system. As soon as it becomes available I will test and let you know where we are at - wanted to give you an update. Cheers

g~
nickh

Post by nickh »

The save state fix been successfully implemented and I have pushed another update to Cherry Audio to address the 'autostart' behavior - once approved the module will begin in the 'off' state.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Nick this is great news. Thanks!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for the fix, Nick! Yesterday I did a very basic test of the on/off save state with variations. Using an existing patch, I set up 4 variations with the I/O state off and 1 variation with it on. The I/O on/off state of each variation got saved after I re-saved the preset. I haven't used this module extensively, but wanted users to know this worked for me.
nickh

Post by nickh »

Great to hear! The newest version is now available and includes two additional changes:

1) Module will start in the 'off' state initially.
2) Default external clock sync behavior has been adjusted to resemble the behavior of the stock Eight-Step Sequencer.
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

nickh wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:58 pm Great to hear! The newest version is now available and includes two additional changes:

1) Module will start in the 'off' state initially.
2) Default external clock sync behavior has been adjusted to resemble the behavior of the stock Eight-Step Sequencer.
Thank you again Nick for sorting out these challenges. The module is working great. It was a treat to work with you, and I recommend anyone that was slightly interested in grabbing this jewel, do not hesitate.

g~

Return to “Nick Hladek”