U know? Usage of great PS-20 filters as VST/AU FX Plug

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
timmsusa

U know? Usage of great PS-20 filters as VST/AU FX Plug

Post by timmsusa »

Hi,

the KORG MS-20 was even in its virtual version capable for usage as FX... what are you planning... LOL Ok, I stay honest. I would pay 10Bugs for having extra MS-20 Filter as Plugin.

Let me make it short: The PS-20 is same as not supposed to be used as pure Audio-FX, right? So now that I had 15 min long read on your promotion text how really awesome these filters about.. It is little getting me down, so I would wait with my buying decision, sry!

Best Regards
timmsusa

Re: U know? Usage of great PS-20 filters as VST/AU FX Plug

Post by timmsusa »

Sry I found it for myself!! Cool Cool you have this!
timmsusa

Post by timmsusa »

Where can I close this Thread??
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I could delete it for you, or you could leave it here to help others. Thanks for letting us know you found the answer.

Greg
vaila333

Post by vaila333 »

Hello there!!! i have the PS-20 FX VST but when i put it into an audio channel in ableton no sounds does come off that track anymore. do i have to patch the PS-20 FX in order to get any sounds off it through the filters? please tell me how, sorry for the newbie question

cheers
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have wanted to try using the PS-20 to process external audio myself. So thanks for asking. I am not using Ableton. But maybe what I did is similar. I have an internet radio station piped into an audio track on my DAW. I have the output of that track going to a Bus within the DAW. Then I put the PS-20 FX [using VST3] plug-in onto the Bus (as an Audio FX). NEW: It works just as well putting the the FX plug-in on an audio track directly (without using a bus).

That stopped the audio going from the Audio Track into the Bus. That sounds similar to what you found.

Next, I then had to figure out how to use the PS-20's filters. Not sure if this is the best or only way, but here's what I did: Connected the audio output from the External Signal Processor (in the center) to the Pre-FX In (just below and to the left of the meter).

Signal Level, Lo Cut, High Cut, and Volume knobs all work. That's as far as I got so far, but it works.

Hope that's enough to get it working for you.

NEW: Just turned on the bottom row FX (Distortion, Echo, and Reverb). Those also work since they are already pre-wired into the PS-20 audio chain after the Pre-FX In. (The name of the jack gives it away!!!) ;-)

EVEN MORE: The bottom row Mod controls (Rate and Depth) also work.

I have zilch experience with Ableton, but the fact that your audio track's signal also stopped when you put the PS-20 FX in there tells me its similar to what I did. Assuming the PS-20 FX plug-in is in the signal path, try the one connection I did (audio output from the external signal processor module in the PS-20 into the pre-FX audio input).

Just tried this with a totally unfamiliar DAW. Created a track, put a VST Instrument on it, pointed my keyboard to it, inserted the PS-20 FX onto the track, made the single cable connection in PS-20, and it works.
vaila333

Post by vaila333 »

Hey man and thanks for answering!!!

I also achieved the lower effects to work, but what i really needed was to use the other filter, the two ones at the top just next to oscillators and mixer, just because thase are the real MS-20 screamy filters with peak (resonance) controls. I don't really care too much of the filters underneath the input as that is just a simple filter to select frequencies on the input.... :(

anybody can help? Cherry audio people are you there?
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Hey all, Mitch from Cherry Audio. There are a number of ways to get external audio through PS-20's highpass and lowpass filters, but this way will do it with a single patch cable.

For this setup, use the "FX" version of PS-20 in the insert of the audio track you want to process (you can alternatively use the instrument version and set the sidechain input to the appropriate audio track to be processed, but inserting a PS-20 FX version is a little easier).

PS20extAudio.jpg
PS20extAudio.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 5199 times

The Sidechain Input box on the panel indicates that external audio is coming into PS-20 there; the Ext/SC Level knob adjusts the incoming signal level. From there, it goes to the oscillator mixer... which comes before the highpass and lowpass filters. Since we're plugging into the oscillator mixer, make sure to turn down VCO 1 and VCO 2 Level knobs in the Mixer section, or else you'll hear the oscillators along with the external signal (which may be desirable).

The other important thing is that we're pre-VCA, and the VCA is normally closed, which means we need to open the VCA, or you won't hear anything. The easiest way to do that is to patch the Ext Signal Processor Gate Out jack to VCA Amt input jack (makes sure to turn up the Ext Signal Processor Signal Level knob). What's happening here is that the external signal is always routed to the ESP, so the Gate Out jack outputs a constant 5V gate signal. Patching this is to the VCA Amt input keeps the VCA open and allows signal from the oscillator mixer to pass to the mast outs.

You can play with the routing switch in the filters section, but I’d start with Serial as this runs the signal to the highpass, then the lowpass. Also, you don’t have to use the Ext Sig Processor Gate Out jack to keep the VCA open - any output jack can be used. For example, the VCO 1 or VCO 2 Out jacks at the top will create audio-rate amplitude modulation and will awesomely mangle things (play with the oscillator waveforms and pitch knobs).
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for enumerating some additional options for using the PS-20 FX to manipulate external audio, Mitch. /me puts these on a "to-explore-further" list.
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

ExtAudioProcess 1.ps20preset
(3.07 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
I promise, it's easy. I've enclosed a patch as well (which you can just drag and drop into VM).

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”