Envelope doesn't retrig when chords played adjacently

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
sadib

Envelope doesn't retrig when chords played adjacently

Post by sadib »

It seems when chords are sustained and another chord is played adjacently;the envelope doesn't retrig.

And yes I've set the trig mode in multi :?

P.S: I've also add the preset(It's a custom one)
Attachments
The midi chords
The midi chords
Sustained chord.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Sadib Dream Hall.ps20preset
My Preset
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Envelope doesn't retrig when chords played adjacently

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Which DAW? Can you please also post a MIDI file with those notes?

Greg
sadib

Post by sadib »

The DAW is reaper.

I've attached the midi
Attachments
Paliative.mid
(231 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

I tried your MIDI File out of curiosity, using the "New" Init patch on PS20. It worked just fine. I used EG2 on the LPF Cutoff, and EG1 on the Oscillator frequencies. Both envelopes retriggered with every new chord, and affected every note.

Maybe there's something in your patch that's causing this behaviour. I know we discussed this issue a few days ago, and I don't think you were able to solve it then.
sadib

Post by sadib »

huggermugger wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:49 pm I tried your MIDI File out of curiosity, using the "New" Init patch on PS20. It worked just fine. I used EG2 on the LPF Cutoff, and EG1 on the Oscillator frequencies. Both envelopes retriggered with every new chord, and affected every note.

Maybe there's something in your patch that's causing this behaviour. I know we discussed this issue a few days ago, and I don't think you were able to solve it then.
Well then can't you just figure it out what's wrong with the patch then? Also I've checked the envelope.It really has some issues when two midi are played one after another.It doesn't retrig properly on those occasions

P.S: In my patch I try to control the cutoff with EG1 by patching instead of EG2.And leave the EG2 to control the amp VCA.Could this be the reason that EG1 doesn't retrig when used as modulation source?(Even after setting the "Trig" in 'Multi" ;) )
sadib

Post by sadib »

I'm still not getting the answer. Can you at least response and not just leave the issue !!! Please====
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for providing the sample files. Try switching the voice setting from Poly 2 to Poly 1 and see if that helps.

Beyond that, you could just shorten the notes a teensy bit, since it has a long release anyway.

Greg
sadib

Post by sadib »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:01 pm Hi,

Thanks for providing the sample files. Try switching the voice setting from Poly 2 to Poly 1 and see if that helps.

Beyond that, you could just shorten the notes a teensy bit, since it has a long release anyway.

Greg
Sorry it's not helping at all.There's something wrong with the envelope retrig. I'm not being rude. I'm just saying what I'm experiencing. Please fix the issue if it's a bug and not just suggesting "Shorten the notes a teensy bit".Love the product and I would love to see it flourishing. But not like this
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback - I passed it along to the team.

Greg
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I played with this patch a few days ago and again earlier today (playing the patch in real time). I was having trouble trying to understand what you were calling "the envelope" which you said wasn't retriggering. To me it is a complex patch with lots of stuff going on, including an envelope that seemed to change over the better part of a minute. I was also confused as to why sometimes I got a pitch glide and sometimes I didn't. But intuitively it seemed to me the patch did what its settings ask it to do.

To explore the patch further, I turned the attack of both EGs to the lowest setting and hit some Cs two octaves apart. I was trying to determine if your pitch glide effect interfered with the re-triggering.

Next, I pressed the lower C repeatedly. It sounds like there is a slow oscillator (or maybe something else--like a slow attack then a less slow drop) that sweeps the cutoff frequency. There is a distinct difference when the filtering eliminates highs v. when the filtering reaches the resonant frequencies.

To my ear, it is as if during the portion of the filtering cycle when only the lows are sounding, I cannot hear some retriggering but during the portion of the filtering cycle when the highs and the resonance is sounding, I hear what could be described as retriggering. Also, the effect sounds different with the C 2 octaves above.

If I stop repeatedly pressing the low C when mostly low frequencies are being allowed through and then wait any length of time (5 seconds to 5 minutes), when I start repeatedly pressing the same note, the cutoff frequency is at the same level as when I stopped pressing the key repeatedly.

I have not deconstructed the entire patch, but based on what I have played with so far, it sounds to me that "the non-retriggering effect" might be derived from the complex interactions built into the patch. In part this is based on a couple of observations: (1) sometimes there is a pitch glide and sometimes there isn't and (2) repeated presses of the same note allows for the filter's cutoff frequency to be retained over the span of at least 5 minutes.

No idea if there is an issue with the synth engine or if the issue is a matter of patch design.

Thanks for posting the patch!! I have not explored the PS-20 synth engine by designing my own patches and exploring yours gave me some insights I might be able to use. I am interested to see what the team says. (bug? not a bug? that is the question!)

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”