Envelope doesn't retrig when chords played adjacently

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
sadib

Re: Envelope doesn't retrig when chords played adjacently

Post by sadib »

Steve W wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:19 pm I played with this patch a few days ago and again earlier today (playing the patch in real time). I was having trouble trying to understand what you were calling "the envelope" which you said wasn't retriggering. To me it is a complex patch with lots of stuff going on, including an envelope that seemed to change over the better part of a minute. I was also confused as to why sometimes I got a pitch glide and sometimes I didn't. But intuitively it seemed to me the patch did what its settings ask it to do.

To explore the patch further, I turned the attack of both EGs to the lowest setting and hit some Cs two octaves apart. I was trying to determine if your pitch glide effect interfered with the re-triggering.

Next, I pressed the lower C repeatedly. It sounds like there is a slow oscillator (or maybe something else--like a slow attack then a less slow drop) that sweeps the cutoff frequency. There is a distinct difference when the filtering eliminates highs v. when the filtering reaches the resonant frequencies.

To my ear, it is as if during the portion of the filtering cycle when only the lows are sounding, I cannot hear some retriggering but during the portion of the filtering cycle when the highs and the resonance is sounding, I hear what could be described as retriggering. Also, the effect sounds different with the C 2 octaves above.

If I stop repeatedly pressing the low C when mostly low frequencies are being allowed through and then wait any length of time (5 seconds to 5 minutes), when I start repeatedly pressing the same note, the cutoff frequency is at the same level as when I stopped pressing the key repeatedly.

I have not deconstructed the entire patch, but based on what I have played with so far, it sounds to me that "the non-retriggering effect" might be derived from the complex interactions built into the patch. In part this is based on a couple of observations: (1) sometimes there is a pitch glide and sometimes there isn't and (2) repeated presses of the same note allows for the filter's cutoff frequency to be retained over the span of at least 5 minutes.

No idea if there is an issue with the synth engine or if the issue is a matter of patch design.

Thanks for posting the patch!! I have not explored the PS-20 synth engine by designing my own patches and exploring yours gave me some insights I might be able to use. I am interested to see what the team says. (bug? not a bug? that is the question!)
First of all I'm glad that the patch gave you some insights.I would gladly put more patches in the forum if needed.Assisting people and giving them even a tiny inspiration or Insight is a blessing.Thank you for that

Secondly,
Even if you try in the init a.k.a "New" patch and try to modulate the modulate the cutoff with EG1 instead of EG2.You'll notice that the envelope doesn’t retrig the set cutoff if played repeatedly or as sustained chord played one after the another.My bet is that It's a bug.
Here's that hunch also from Your part:
To my ear, it is as if during the portion of the filtering cycle when only the lows are sounding, I cannot hear some retriggering but during the portion of the filtering cycle when the highs and the resonance is sounding, I hear what could be described as retriggering. Also, the effect sounds different with the C 2 octaves above.

If I stop repeatedly pressing the low C when mostly low frequencies are being allowed through and then wait any length of time (5 seconds to 5 minutes), when I start repeatedly pressing the same note, the cutoff frequency is at the same level as when I stopped pressing the key repeatedly.
Just try the same thing without any patching.And you'll notice this odd behaviour again
sadib

Post by sadib »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 pm Hi,

Thanks for your feedback - I passed it along to the team.

Greg
I hope they reply soon.Things are getting pretty interesting
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Did you try shortening the notes a bit?

Greg
sadib

Post by sadib »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:31 pm Hi,

Did you try shortening the notes a bit?

Greg
I did. But it Does not always yield the best result.Often I need the full extension & even subtle shortening destroys the sound. Just fix it.So that we don't Have to go Through such tedious adjustments
sadib

Post by sadib »

Has the team reached any verdict regarding the issue??
Kindly provide me an update

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”