total external

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
gentleclockdivider

total external

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Where is the total input , to control both filters at the same time ?
On the cherry audio it's labbeled mod gen , on the ms 20 it's mod gen + total ext. .
So when something is plugged in 'total in' on the patch panel ' 'it overrides the lfo and the mod gen becomes an attenuator .
On the cherry I can't find the total in on the patch panel , and there is no way to override the lfo
It start right from the beginning of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeVZSoUiNA
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: total external

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

From the PS-20 documentation:

Although PS-20's patch panel greatly resembles an original an MS-20, if you look closely, you'll see we've seriously altered it from the original. We've eliminated the Total modulation input and its attenuators, added a LOT of additional connectivity, and changed a number of the labels to make it much easier to understand. These changes radically transform its usability.

I believe the Modulation Generator takes over the function of the "Total" connector, allowing you to select mod wheel control or use LFO to control those three knobs.

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

And in answer to the question about controlling both filters, here's what one of the designers says:

The “Total” input has been removed so that each section can be modulated separately. If you wanted to modulate both filters simultaneously, hook up two cables to from the same source to the mod inputs of both filters, and turn up the attenuators beneath each filter:

filrRoute1.jpg
filrRoute1.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Greg
gentleclockdivider

Hi , yes I am aware of that ..that was not my question
In the example you have shown , the eg is controlling the filter and the eg2/patch panel knobs are controlling the amount.
I am talking about the knobs above those , called mod gen ..these are always hardwired to lfo .
In other words , can you post a screenshot of eg 1 controlling filter and mod gen knobs as attenuators ?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

In PS-20, you can't use envelope generators to "control knobs," but you can use them to control the amount of modulation. Here's a patch that illustrates a way to do that:
EG1 Controlling Cutoff Modulation.ps20preset
PS-20 preset
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Greg
gentleclockdivider

I didn;t make myself clear (again )
I know you can't use envelope generators to control knobs .
Maybe this will clear things up , in this patch I am using env 1 to control the low pass filter ( by default it is envelope 2 ) , the amount is controlled by eg/patch panel knob .
All I wan't is the mod lfo knob to control the amount instead of the eg/panel knob
So I wan't eg1 to control cutoff , and the amount of modulation by mod gen knob as an attenuator , LFO NOT as a MOD source

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”