High CPU usage

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
LaKriz

High CPU usage

Post by LaKriz »

Hi all,

just bought the PS-20 VST and noticed the the CPU usage goes through the roof most of the time. Using the VST3 in Ableton live 11, the majority of patches will use up around 85% of CPU time. Is there any way to reign that in? I mean, this instruments sounds georgeous, but in this state it's unusable for me. I'm quite disappointed right now.
tarkus1971

Re: High CPU usage

Post by tarkus1971 »

Yes as a VST in Presonus Studio v5 it is very high too. I use all Cherry Audio's Synths as standalone mostly using a laptop through an audio interface into my mixer, and recording on my main PC, gives better results.
Nullgrad_UK

Post by Nullgrad_UK »

You could try and reduce the number of voices in the patch also switch the reverb off . That should reduce the amount of CPU . I had a similar problem using U-he Diva. .
LaKriz

Post by LaKriz »

Well, using a second computer just to run a VST instrument makes no economical sense - if that was an option, one could just buy a hardware synthesizer.

Using less voices and no internal FX was something I tried without much change to cpu load. The overall load changed maybe 5%.

The hardware of my music production rig (AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8GB RAM on Win10 64 Bit) is capable to run Maschine VST and within several instances of Massive, Raum (Reverb) and Replika (Delay) with only moderate CPU load.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

I have the laptop anyway, so I use that 1 laptop as many synths. So it works for me. All of cherry audios synths run really well as standalones.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Anybody who is experiencing high CPU with PS-20 (or Eight Voice) should check for an update today. We were able to optimize various processes, and you should see definite improvement. For PS-20, this new update would be v1.0.5 build 84.

Greg
Doc Joe

Post by Doc Joe »

The PS-20 has become my go to synth for etherial weirdnes. Yes, its a resource beast, but i have found running four PS-20s in Voltage Modular 2 hosts simultaneously is possible provided you limit the ploy number for each to the very minimum of whats needed for the tack. The poly count really ups the audio processing, so keeping it to a "as needed" level is important.

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”