Version 1.1.0 GUI update text no longer as clear

Cherry Audio’s Eight Voice polyphonic synthesizer meticulously emulates the immense sound of the Oberheim Eight Voice, one of the world’s rarest and most desirable vintage instruments.
Schmitty2005

Version 1.1.0 GUI update text no longer as clear

Post by Schmitty2005 »

WIth the update of the GUI text on all the plug-ins, "All interface text is now vector-based, allowing for the sharpest possible text at any zoom level.", the GUI is now much harder to read! Before this 'upgrade', I could clearly read the text without zoom / focus. I had the zoom level set at 70% of its size, and it was clearly legible. Now I have to use focus if I don't want to strain. The keyboard is also harder to read. It too was perfect before the update. Having the zoom level at 100% is still difficult to read! At 100% zoom, the GUI takes up about 80% of my screen. I have 1366 x 768 screen resolution.

The MG-1 also got the new GUI, and the 'focus' feature. It NEVER needed the focus feature before, being the smallest GUI. Now it does just to read controls!

This 'update' makes the GUI LESS USER FRIENDLY because of more mouse clicks to get the same adjustments done.

Is there an option of having the vector-based text user configurable between the two styles ?
tarkus1971

Re: Version 1.1.0 GUI update text no longer as clear

Post by tarkus1971 »

Yes the 8 voice text is really small even at 1920x1080 resolution.... so you have to use the focus buttons if you need to read the labels, but once you know where the right knobs and buttons are, it's ok. Just hard for new users.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

I noticed that all of the new version vector fonts seem really thin, where the old fonts were thicker. Did someone (hopefully) just forget to hit "Bold" on the font choice?

Before:
textbefore.jpg
textbefore.jpg (279.68 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
After:
textafter.jpg
textafter.jpg (271.35 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Schmitty2005 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:26 am The keyboard is also harder to read. It too was perfect before the update.
HI,

Are you talking about the QWERTY keyboard? That has always used vector text, so it didn't change.

Thanks for the feedback about the changed text, I passed it along to the team.

We switched to vector text so that it wouldn't be fuzzy at extreme zoom levels, and on hi-def monitors.

Greg
Schmitty2005

Post by Schmitty2005 »

Greg,

Thank you for forwarding this to the team.

Yes, the QWERTY keyboard.

Old:

New:
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Wow, you're right. Which plugin did you use for those screenshots? I tried a before and after with Eight Voice and got the same results.

Greg

Edited to add: apparently the fact that it is vector text didn't change, but it looks like the font changed.
Schmitty2005

Post by Schmitty2005 »

Greg,

The old QWERTY keyboard snip was taken from DCO-106 that was not updated to V1.1.0 The new QWERTY was taken from Eight-Voice after update to V1.1.0. (and it may have had the new style keyboard before)

I know one my my Cherry Audio Instruments already had the new style keyboard before the update. It may have been Eight Voice, explaining why your before and after update of Eight-Voice QWERTY keyboards look the same.

As I have updated the other instruments, they are getting the new style QWERTY. I did not update DCO-106 yet. My DCO-106 is V1.0.29(B46)

If it was just a font change, could an option be added to manually select the old font ? Or maybe the font can be selected automatically based on screen resolution ?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

We wouldn't add an option to change the font, we would just make the font easier to read. It turns out that this issue was a side-effect of some updates/changes to the code, and that's why we didn't think anything had changed - because we didn't modify the font on purpose.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I've filed a bug on this issue so it can be reviewed for a future update.

Greg
Schmitty2005

Post by Schmitty2005 »

Any ETA on a fix for this ?
Schmitty2005

Post by Schmitty2005 »

Any plans to even fix this ?

Return to “Eight Voice Synthesizer”