Feature request: Use MIDI channels to choose what voice is played

Cherry Audio’s Eight Voice polyphonic synthesizer meticulously emulates the immense sound of the Oberheim Eight Voice, one of the world’s rarest and most desirable vintage instruments.
Vincent Zauhar

Feature request: Use MIDI channels to choose what voice is played

Post by Vincent Zauhar »

Hi there,

First of all, I wanted to say that I really like this synth. Well done to the Cherry Audio team!

The thing I would love to see is a voice allocation mode where the MIDI channel played dictates what voice is played. If that mode is enabled, MIDI channel 1 to 8 will correspondently play voice 1 to 8. This would enable some really cool control over how chords slide with portamento from one to the next (per note portamento control), among much more cool applications of this feature. The ability to choose what voice to play in an arbitrary manner for each note would be a killer feature that would really strengthen the Eight Voice's architecture compared to other virtual-analog synthesizers.

This new Poly Mode could even bypass the Solo setting, allowing you to play all un-soloed voices in one of the existing 2 Poly Modes, then still play the muted voice when choosing the right MIDI channel for that note in particular.

Alternatively, to avoid adding a third dedicated Poly Mode for that, you could use channel 1 normally, and then use channel 2-9 to play voices 1-8 respectively, overriding the two existing poly modes.

Thanks, hope you like this idea, and have a great day!
cherryMitch

Re: Feature request: Use MIDI channels to choose what voice is played

Post by cherryMitch »

We had indiv MIDI channel selection for each module in the original design, but honestly, we had to add other things and ran out of room (and determined that for most situations where you'd use sep MIDI channels, you could just open more instances of Eight Voice). Your idea is certainly a valid one, but as often happens, we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere with features or it turns into what I like to call "the Homer Simpson car." :)

Return to “Eight Voice Synthesizer”