Turn off vinyl crackling

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus is a loving recreation of the Realistic MG-1, an oddball synthesizer sold by the 1980's consumer electronics giant Radio Shack.
Christian H

Turn off vinyl crackling

Post by Christian H »

I find that MG-1 adds vintage crackling to the sound, like a vinyl effect (at least to a reese bass). Is there a way to turn this off?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Turn off vinyl crackling

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Standalone or plugin? Windows or Mac? What's your playback device?

Greg
Christian H

Post by Christian H »

I am using VST3 plugin, Windows 8.1, FL Studio 20.7.3.1987

Here is another experience of crackling (but no info about system):
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/1 ... ent-248057
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Try VST2 or standalone and see if the crackling happens. I cannot hear any crackling on Res Bass.
brianvel

Post by brianvel »

I'm getting the crackling as well. Windows 10, VST3, FL Studio 20.7.2. This happens with only 1 instance of the plugin and no effects. The synth otherwise sounds good. The crackes and pops render it unusable.
Christian H

Post by Christian H »

The crackling is playing with both Extreme Res Bass and my own reese bass preset. It is present in different speakers and headphone types.

The crackling is heard in the same way with VST3 and VST2. But I cannot hear it with standalone.
Christian H

Post by Christian H »

Someone posted a solution at KVR. It removed the crackling on my PC. Open the FL Studio plugin wrapper settings, cog wheel, troubleshooting, enable Use fixed size buffers. Will increase plugin latency.
brianvel

Post by brianvel »

Christian H wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm Someone posted a solution at KVR. It removed the crackling on my PC. Open the FL Studio plugin wrapper settings, cog wheel, troubleshooting, enable Use fixed size buffers. Will increase plugin latency.
Bingo! That did it.
buttonsinker

Post by buttonsinker »

I have this exact same issue with Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer, but also on DCO-106 & CA2600 since their last updates. I had to revert both of them to their Version 1 release to solve the problem. Unfortunately, what ever they did that messed up CA2600 & DCO-106 is present on day one release of Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer. Using the suggested "fixed buffer size" helps reduce the frequency of the crackling but doesn't fix it. One thing is for sure, this is not a fake vinyl crackling feature but an actual bug that is present in the latest updates of their other products.

Problem on Windows 10 on FL Studio and Ableton LIVE with both vst2 & vst3
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

We're looking into this issue. Thanks for reporting it!

Greg

Return to “Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer”