Questions / Feature suggestions

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus is a loving recreation of the Realistic MG-1, an oddball synthesizer sold by the 1980's consumer electronics giant Radio Shack.
Koshdukai

Questions / Feature suggestions

Post by Koshdukai »

Is there a way to split/pan any of the sources/poly sections to left/right ?

If not, will that be added in the future?

If not, is this planned to be available as a VM module?

If not... uh... hmmm... why? :D

...and this being free (thank you!) can't the the answer! ;)
Koshdukai

Re: Questions / Feature suggestions

Post by Koshdukai »

If there's plans for a v1.1: Can the Modulation's Wheel toggle be upgraded to a tri-state: Off, Wheel, Aftertouch? :)
Koshdukai

Post by Koshdukai »

Is there a way to (Contour?) modulate Tone Source Two's Detune independently of Tone Source One ?
...you know, for proper Sync 2>1

I guess if this was a VM module, most or none of these questions/suggestions would make sense (hopefully) due to inter-section audio/cv I/O.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Koshdukai,

The Realistic MG-1 is a fairly limited synthesizer, and we wanted to stick closely to its limitations. However, you can certainly map MIDI controllers to control things like detune. Also, you can manually map Pressure (aftertouch) to control one or more of the Modulation sliders.

To do this, use MIDI Learn to map any controller (e.g. your mod wheel) to control a Modulation amount slider. Then view the MIDI tab (by pressing the MIDI button on the toolbar at the top) and then change the Type from "CC" to "Pressure". In this way, you can have aftertouch control the amount of modulation.

Thanks!
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Koshdukai

Post by Koshdukai »

ok, thanks.
hdan

Post by hdan »

Thanks for giving us this gift, it's so much fun. I had the chance to buy a real one some decades ago, but passed. I've regretted it, and now I don't have to. :)

The only feature I'd request is the ability to set the MIDI channel to something other than OMNI so I can play the stand-alone instrument along side some of my hardware synths. Is there a way to do this I just haven't seen yet? (Obviously this is not a problem inside a DAW, so I have a work-around.)

Thanks, and happy holidays!

(Also, I just picked up your 106. it's AMAZING.)
docatlas

Post by docatlas »

Cherry Dan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:17 pm Koshdukai,

The Realistic MG-1 is a fairly limited synthesizer, and we wanted to stick closely to its limitations. However, you can certainly map MIDI controllers to control things like detune. Also, you can manually map Pressure (aftertouch) to control one or more of the Modulation sliders.

To do this, use MIDI Learn to map any controller (e.g. your mod wheel) to control a Modulation amount slider. Then view the MIDI tab (by pressing the MIDI button on the toolbar at the top) and then change the Type from "CC" to "Pressure". In this way, you can have aftertouch control the amount of modulation.

Thanks!
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Using a controller to control the frequency of one oscillator is something I want to do, when using sync. I own a Liberation, which is very similar to the MG-1, and one of the things I love doing with it for leads is to use sync, and sweep oscillator two's frequency with pressure. It's nice to know that I'll be able to do it with this goodie.

Return to “Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer”