Interesting shootout with hardware

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
wavemechanic

Interesting shootout with hardware

Post by wavemechanic »

UPDATE AGAIN: Reverting this more or less to my original post, since it turns out the original hardware uses 24dB filters in both Arp and Behringer. The resonance of the hardware filter doesn't clip like it does in CA2600. It would be nice if the software behavior was more like the hardware. Is that something that can be addressed in future updates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKFWlHoeLA
Last edited by wavemechanic on Mon May 24, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tgrey

Re: Interesting shootout with hardware

Post by tgrey »

Did he conduct that entire test with the CA's filter on 24db? Couldn't that alone account for the difference? IIRC the hardware version is only 12, which (especially when dealing with high resonance) would result in much tamer levels?
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

@tgrey, I posted a comment on the video. The author got understandably concerned and rechecked the hardware specs, finding that the Behringer 2600's filter is 24dB per octave. I then checked the ARP hardware specs and found that it too was 24dB per octave. So I deleted my original video comment and replaced it with an apology. It sure looks like the filter resonance is quite a bit different between the CA2600 and at least the behavior of the Behringer 2600, which I'm going to assume is closer to the ARP.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

This is so weird, I could have *SWORN* the hardware was only a 12db/oct filter... now I'm wondering where I picked up that incorrect bit. I'll drop a quick word in the yt comments as well.

Guess I also need to go check how children's book authors spell their names in this new alternate timeline I've entered into :lol:
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

lol

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”