Duophonic

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
Dorian_Dowse

Duophonic

Post by Dorian_Dowse »

Hi. I'm having a problem with Duophonic mode. Well I'm not sure if it's a problem as I've never actually played a real 2600. I have played an ARP Odyssey for 30 years and they are very similar. Anyway I'm trying to replicate one of my favourite Odyssey patches. The 2600 has all the same features as the Odyssey and more, so it should work, but it doesn't.

The patch is this:
Duophonic mode
Max portamento (glide) on both oscillators
Ring mod
Hold a high note then play a low note
One oscillator stays the same while the other oscillator glides down to the lower note (Thus creating all sorts of ring mod juiciness).
The let up the low note.
Here on the Odyssey, the low note will glide back up to top note. (The play style is to ride the lower note so it is continously gliding up and down creating all sorts of banshee screaching)
On the CA2600 it doesn't. It glides down, but then it stays put on the low note after you let the lower note off. The second oscillator doesn't glide back up to unison.

I tried a few things but couldn't work it out.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Duophonic

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Apparently, the ARP 2600 does work that way, unless you have portamento turned on. I think one other person has mentioned this issue. The devs might be open to changing the way it works, but we would be straying from the original.

Greg
Dorian_Dowse

Post by Dorian_Dowse »

Thanks Greg. Personally I'm all for straying from the original. Or rather extending the original.
The CA2600 has separate Glide sliders on the first two oscillators. These aren't on the ARP 2600. It has a Portamento slider on the keyboard.
So technically the CA2600 has already strayed from the original. Some more options in duo wouldn't be amiss.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Okay, thanks for your feedback, I passed that along to the devs.

Greg

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”