midi learn

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
thelonious

midi learn

Post by thelonious »

First, I'm really very happy with this recreation of the ARP2600 - great sound and nice for learning the architecture of this classic (and I have tried some of the other virtual 2600s on offer - they are nice but not so good for exploration and learning by a long way).

The only problem I've run into is that the 'right click the mouse over a slider (or knob or switch) to put into midi control/learn mode' does not work when the CA2600 is working as a VST in my DAW, Reaper. When I open the CA2600 as a stand alone, the midi learn menu opens just fine.

I've looked in Reaper's preferences on midi control, but didn't find anything there. Since I'll mostly be using it as a VST - especially when using practical functions like external midi control, it would be good to sort this problem out.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: midi learn

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi,

When you move knobs on your MIDI controller, does the CA2600's MIDI button light up to show that it is receiving MIDI? (It will light up when you press keys on your keyboard, for example.)

If it's not lighting up, then the MIDI data isn't getting from Reaper to the plug-in. This often happens when your MIDI keyboard is set up as a MIDI Controller in your DAW, so the DAW consumes the MIDI messages instead of passing them to the virtual instrument. If CA2600 doesn't receive these MIDI messages, then it can't react to them.

Take a look and let us know what you find. Thanks!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

I'm using a digital piano just to test this function. And yes, apart from the obvious keyboard midi control, other cc inputs such as the piano pedals and program change do activate the blue midi light on CA2600 - in fact the program changer on the piano automatically changes the patch on the CA2600 so midi is obviously routing through.

However, right clicking for midi learn on the sliders etc on the CA2600 does not work when it's inside the DAW as a VST but it works fine on CA2600 as a free standing app.
GalbE

Post by GalbE »

Windows or Mac? On my Windows 10 system it works fine in Reaper 5.9
[GalbE]
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

Windows 10 pro 1909
Reaper v5.99 64 bit
reset

Post by reset »

Cherry Dan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:29 pm Hi,

When you move knobs on your MIDI controller, does the CA2600's MIDI button light up to show that it is receiving MIDI? (It will light up when you press keys on your keyboard, for example.)

If it's not lighting up, then the MIDI data isn't getting from Reaper to the plug-in. This often happens when your MIDI keyboard is set up as a MIDI Controller in your DAW, so the DAW consumes the MIDI messages instead of passing them to the virtual instrument. If CA2600 doesn't receive these MIDI messages, then it can't react to them.

Take a look and let us know what you find. Thanks!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Same problem but different DAW, Reason 10.

My Keyboard acts as both MIdi controller and mixer controller. It's ok within Reason shell as VST.
Midi lights up on midi notes received, but not CC's. Reason gets all CC's and should pass them, in theory. But...

Reason KNOWS my Keyboard, also has a driver for my Nektar keyboard, what are the Key strokes, what are the PADS, and what the Faders, and Knobs.
Keystrokes are identified by Reason and sent through. I can still interact because of how the REason VST shell is made,
so effectively, I can operate anything, bypassing the internal Midi learn.

So, I can't say where is the culprit. But it's totally functional using utilities in Reason. Assign Midi to a Knob within Reason, and then
use The VST shell Learn function, move what you want to assign the MIdi in CA2600, and connect the cables on the back tab.
I Don't know how Reaper Shell works, but it might need some tweaking around, and then it could works just fine. ;)
CA2600 6.JPG
CA2600 6.JPG (442.1 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”